Weather: I Never Could Remember My Stupid Jacket

lora.golden.1
I was never the kind of person who could remember their umbrella.

Regardless of wind, thunder, lightning, or whether it was a drizzle or a storm, I always forget my umbrella. I am a perpetual umbrella mooch, clinging to the sides of friends and family for shelter underneath their often too-small umbrellas.

I am also, ‘surprisingly,’ the kind of person who often forgets their jacket, regardless of weather or temperature. Maybe it is because I live in the South, but the thought of adding an extra layer has always seemed tedious, and if I even somewhat consider that I may not need it, I will completely abandon it. If I can, I often borrow the jackets of my more warm-blooded friends who are generous enough to forgo their own comfort for mine. Their kindness is met with a slew of gracious acknowledgements of adoration from me as I bundle into the hoodies that still have lingering body warmth and are lightly scented like my companion, whether it’s their cologne, perfume, soap, or natural scent.

This mundane fact, for one night, was extremely important outside of my own comfort. Or it seemed important, at the very least.

A week after I had begun dating a man, Franklin, who was completely wrong for me, I was at an outdoor restaurant on one of the chilliest nights of the fall. I had, ‘surprisingly,’ forgotten my jacket at home because I hadn’t expected to stay out as late I had, and the temperature was a drastic swing in my disadvantage.

My friends, back then, disagreed with my choice in casual dating partner (we had never defined each other as ‘boyfriend’ or ‘girlfriend’). They asked probing questions while I sat on the concrete bench, huddled into my own shirt for warmth, but still unable to stop my teeth from chattering while I ate my hamburger and fries. I sat between an old friend from high school, and a new friend from college.

The new friend from college had, upon our first meeting, practically announced that he had a huge crush on me. This had happened the same day I had asked out Franklin. I enjoyed his company, but I was still uneasy – being new to the dating game, I wasn’t sure how to proceed. Was it dishonest to talk to him as often as I did while I dated Franklin?

The new acquaintance offered me his jacket, assuring me that he was perfectly fine without it – even threatening to put it aside so that neither of us could wear it if I didn’t accept his offer. Being silly as I was, I braved the weather, and continued to refuse. I was in college, but so socially awkward that this seemed to be crossing an invisible line – if I accepted the jacket, I had felt like I’d be socially ‘cheating’ on Franklin.

I should have taken the stupid jacket.