Weather: A Failed Equalizer

KaitMags
Some days I wake up and I feel like I have a thousand pounds weighing on my back, knives sending pain through my body. When I stand up from my bed, darkness creeps in from the edges of my eyes and I stumble. And when I walk out to my kitchen and look outside, I understand why my symptoms so much worse today. The sky will be dark and my backyard gray, the ground splashed with water or snow. The weather is known to affect people’s health. And it affects mine all the time. And if you travel across the world, over an ocean, you’ll find more people it affects. The people caught in hurricanes and mudslides, floods and draughts. Some pray for the rain and others curse it. And to some people, the weather is a story on the news. It’s a reason to curse forgetting an umbrella. But in a way, we are all at her mercy. The mercy of Mother Nature. And at her discretion we can suffer. In this way, weather is the great equalizer.

But in reality, Mother Nature is truly terrible at that job. You would think that the great equalizer makes everyone equal. But in reality, nature tends to set people apart. In fact, weather is part of climate and differences in climate impacts countries economically. Some countries have no natural produce that they can grow. And without this, they have no economical foundation from which they can grow out of poverty. For instance, I am blessed to live in the United States, a country whose first Industrial Revolution was spurred on by the invention of the cotton gin; an invention based on a natural resource able to be grown due to the region’s climate. And so we find this paradox: Weather is the great equalizer, because no one can control it… but it doesn’t make anything equal. Still, it affects us all in some way. I feel it. I see it on my friend’s face with the thunder that erupts in the sky and in his head. Now I travel a little down the road and there is weather’s presence when my neighbor, suffering from Multiple Sclerosis, avoids the heat at all cost, always wearing layers and praying for an air conditioner. And I can keep traveling and traveling and find it’s footsteps. People are still recovering from being crushed underfoot by a hurricane. Dominican Republic where they have no fresh water, and no foundation for produce. Bangladesh, with the floods that wipe everything clean. And it is in our hate. Weather influenced evolution. And within evolution, genetics. The stronger the sun’s radiation is, the more melanin in their skin, and the darker the skin is. And sadly, skin color has become a source of contention and hate throughout history. So, yes. Weather may be the great equalizer because we are equal in our inability to control it. But that doesn’t mean it makes anyone equal.