STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Weahter: The Derecho

emily.jamison1
When the thermometer on my grandfather’s dashboard read 104°, I wasn’t surprised. It was July in Washington D.C. and just a few years ago, it had been in the nineties in April. Heat waves were to be expected in Virginia, just as April snowstorms were to be expected back home in Utah. It started off like any heat wave: unbearable when we were outdoors, but relatively harmless while we were lounging in my grandparents’ living room. We had flown in the previous day and the outing of the day had been to the air and space museum. My uncle, a Smithsonian volunteer, had gotten us tickets to Tornado Alley. As we had watched the dramatic documentary, I don’t think any of us anticipated encountering a similar experience that same night.
A storm blew in that evening. None of us really thought anything of it: frequent rain was the norm, after all. The winds were particularly heavy and I heard a loud crash right before I fell asleep.
Upon waking, I instinctively flipped the light-switch, only to discover it wouldn’t turn on. Assuming the lightbulb had burnt out, I made my way in the kitchen, where my grandmother was hurriedly serving us food out of coolers. She explained that we were some of the four million people who had lost their power in the derecho, some sort of freak windstorm. It could take up to a week to get our power back.
Although we spent much of the next few days visiting my uncles’ unaffected homes, the few hours we spent each day in the humid heat were miserable, although we found ways to make it easier. We sat around the house in our swimsuits, and willingly allowed each other to douse us with the garden hose. This was one of our main sources of entertainment, seeing as our electronics had been put over commission. Each night, I took the only cold showers I have taken in my life, and still struggled to fall asleep.
Late on the second day of the power-out, I heard some of the most glorious words of my life, “They’re fixing the power line.” Everyone rushed to the window and expressed their delight when they saw the cherry picker in front of the neighbor’s house. If it hadn’t been for our mother telling us to go to bed, my brother and I easily could have watched them at work for the next few hours.
I felt a rush of joy when I flipped the light-switch the next morning and it worked. As I came into the living room, I could see my siblings were pleased as well: they were back to watching TiVo. My mom was checking Facebook and I immediately jumped at the opportunity to charge my phone. Needless to say, we had all gained a greater appreciation for air conditioning that weekend, and although we all had returned to our normal activities, we did that with an increased sense of togetherness.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy