Weather: A Saved Memory

knicolas
I am standing there, waiting for the free kick, nervous for myself, nervous for my team, nervous for my coach. I just want this one chance.

At the start of the game, it starts to rain. Half of my teammates get devilishly happy grins at the thought of slide tackling while the other half worry about their hair. JV, or junior varsity, soccer games are usually played out of sight in the back fields. However, for this one time we are front and center on the turf, under the lights. Being a junior goalie on a JV team is tough. I am slightly bitter, but I know for the team’s sake, it is better this way. Even as a junior I’m still learning to be confident in my abilities.

I strap on my shinguards, spit on my gloves for traction, and look up at my coach to indicate I’m ready. We do a couple warm-ups as he explains the rain makes the ball slicker, causing it to bounce funny. This means I have to stay in front of the ball at all costs. When warm-ups conclude it’s time to start the game. We’re playing Algonquin, our all-time rival. They are so good that we never win against them, never mind tie them.

My mind says we have no chance. Still, as the game progresses, I try to stay positive.

Suddenly, I am preparing for a corner kick. I’m yelling into the fierce wind to my defense when the ball comes sailing past me to an opposing player. She pounces on it with her head. In an instant, my body flies across the goal line and I just barely keep it out. I hear a roaring cheer.

By halftime, we’ve kept the score an even 1-1 so that the varsity coach is so impressed she comes over to me and says, “What a save. Keep it up.”

I’m stunned at the compliment, but get ready for the second half. We score two minutes in and I’m deliriously happy.

Then the free kick is awarded to Algonquin. I just want this one chance. I squint into the cold wind, poised to stop it.

First, I hear the whoosh.
Then, screams of joy.
They scored.
The rain beat me.

I only had my fingertips on it before it slid past my grip. I feel like I let everyone down, but try to remember we are tied.

In the final two minutes a girl has slid past my defense and gone one-on-one with me. I run up to the edge of my box and see she has momentarily lost control of the ball. Realizing this, I slide into the ball, securing it and sending her flying over me. It’s unbelievable. A smile spreads on my face as time runs out. It feels like a dream. We’ve tied the game against all odds, against the weather conditions.

The rain did not beat me. I overcame it.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Weather Story being selected as one of our top 11 teen essays for our March writing contest.

To view all the results of our March 2015 contest, please check our winners page on or after April 30th:

Our editors are voting on the winners and we will have our results completed soon. We will then send a follow up post to inform you of the results.

Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:10:23 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Weather Story being selected as our 2nd place teen essay.

Be proud of your accomplishment! There were so many well crafted stories for March's contest.

Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 5:07:19 PM

We wanted to share our March 2015 Weather Stories "Teen Trend Report" with you. In this report, you will find survey results as well as themes that emerged from all the essays submitted.

Here is the link:
http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandtheWeather.aspx

Feel free to share the results with others, and as always, thanks so much for helping us with our mission to change the world, one story at a time.

- Rebecca Thiegs
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 5:34:55 PM