I am thankful for: opportunity

elizabethl27
To be honest, when thinking of Thanksgiving, the last thing that comes to my mind is actually giving thanks; in some respects, it is easier to think of everything that is wrong with my life at the moment. Then I realize that I have so much to be thankful for and the underlying theme of everything that I am grateful for is opportunity. While opportunity usually involves a favorable or advantageous circumstance, I think I would like to look at it from a different perspective. Usually, if somebody is accepted into college, or obtains a good job, it is viewed as an opportunity. Still, what about the negative events in our lives? Could they not be viewed as opportunities? In that case, could not each and every moment we are alive be viewed as an opportunity, and isn’t that something to be grateful for? Well, then I have many opportunities to be thankful for:

I am thankful for the opportunity to have seen what suffering truly is. I never knew there was such suffering until I broke out of my bubble (which is a completely different story), and I am eternally grateful.

I am thankful for the opportunity to have been in an emotionally and physically abusive relationship (not that I am by any means promoting abuse). If I had not been, I would have not realized I am deserving of so much more, and that maybe I could help others going through similar situations.

I am thankful for the opportunity to help people every day at my work. It can be difficult and overwhelming, but I take away as much from my students as they do from me.

I am thankful for the opportunity to have been through an extremely lonely time in my life. Now I know what loss is and the importance of every person I know.

Although there is an infinite amount of thanks I could give, I must end this with thanking for each moment in my life. I am beginning to see each moment as an opportunity, both the good and the bad. Every moment is a chance to be better or worse, no matter how low you are, and no matter how high you are. So, when I am at my lowest of lows, I will still have to be thankful for the opportunity to somehow better myself. Finally, thank you for this writing opportunity; it is another chance to grow.