It's okay to still be "figuring it out"

Justina
It’s difficult not to admire fashion icon and blogger Tavi Gevinson. She’s definitely one of the most eloquent, mature and ambitious teenagers out there right now (she was even named one of Forbes 30 Under 30 in Media list). Gevinson delivered a presentation at the TEDxTeen conference where the theme was, “The Wisdom of Not Knowing.”

If you’re unfamiliar with Gevinson, you basically need to know that she started her famous fashion blog “Style Rookie” at age 11. Later on, when she was 15-years-old, Gevinson founded Rookie Magazine, an online magazine for teenage girls featuring art and writing submitted by a range of contributors.

Gevinson’s TED Talk features her thoughts regarding female representation in popular culture what makes a strong female character. Moreover, she elaborates how she’s still “figuring it out”:

Quote:
So I was trying to figure all that out, and I felt a little confused. I said so on my blog that I wanted to start a website for teenage girls that was not this kind of one-dimensional strong character empowerment thing, because I think one thing that can be very alienating about a misconception of feminism is that girls then think that to be a feminist, they have to live up to being perfectly consistent in your beliefs, never being insecure, never having doubts, having all of the answers. And this is not true and, actually, reconciling all the contradictions I was feeling became easier once I understood that feminism was not a rulebook but a discussion, a conversation, a process.

Here is a link to her TED Talk.
Comment by Justina

Quote:

Here is a link to her TED Talk.
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2015 12:26:27 AM