STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Eleanor Roosevelt Quotation: Burn Down Beauty

maggie.fitzgerald.5
Margaret Fitzgerald
February 24, 2015
[email protected]

Little jet black ants, the size of a two year olds’ pinky nail, crawl all over me. Swarms scurrying over my shoulders, the group growing larger and larger as it moves across my chest and up my neck. Chills run up and down my spine causing my head to twitch and cock to the left. My whole face being scratched by their tiny legs moving all over, covering every inch of skin. I try to shake them off, claustrophobia sets in, I can barely breathe, I’m gasping for air. I am paralyzed where I lay.

Then I wake up…

My driveway is steep. There are cracks and flaws. Grass and weeds beginning to sprout through the cracks. In the summer it is hot. Scorching. Squirrels scurry across on the balls of their feet as I imagine the driveway is too hot to their touch. Chipmunks burrow in the freshly laid mulch. Worms inch across slowly. Rabbits running from the neighbors garden with leafy greens. Birds touchdown briefly. Blue jays. Swallows. Carolina chickadee’s. Mockingbirds. Warblers.

Sitting on the driveway, trying to catch a tan in the sweltering summer. I drop a small crumb and watch the ants begin to break pieces and head back to home in sync. There is something peaceful and beautiful about staring at the perfectly orchestrated way they conduct themselves. It’s like they had military training. Like they have worked all their lives to show this kind of order. Watching them use their feelers, and move their heads at their necks, makes me think they are conversing on weather or not it’s a trap.

It is…

I wake up in a sweat. Moving my hands across my body I feel for the little terrors, but find none. How can something so small make me feel so powerless? That day I had been told by my boyfriend to fix my pale complexion and work on some squats to “get that ass.” I was sixteen. I was suffocating in what people thought about me. I couldn’t breathe because I was less than what people actually wanted. I was paralyzed with fear of being less than perfect. I couldn’t control my own body because someone else was setting my beauty on fire and trying to build anew.

On this hot summer day, with scorching temperatures, water could boil on the black top. Little jet black ants move across the steaming driveway carrying the bits of crumb back and forth. Magnifying glass in hand, I manipulate the sun to turn the scorch to a firey blaze claiming the little soldier’s lives. Something so beautiful in nature in front of me. Something I had spent an hour appreciating. I destroyed it. All of it. But why? For what?

I guess I was just happy to be in control.

For once, I wasn’t the beautiful thing being set on fire.
Rate this:
Comment by maggie.fitzgerald.5

Margaret Fitzgerald
February 24, 2015
[email protected]

Little jet black ants, the size of a two year olds’ pinky nail, crawl all over me. Swarms scurrying over my shoulders, the group growing larger and larger as it moves across my chest and up my neck. Chills run up and down my spine causing my head to twitch and cock to the left. My whole face being scratched by their tiny legs moving all over, covering every inch of skin. I try to shake them off, claustrophobia sets in, I can barely breathe, I’m gasping for air. I am paralyzed where I lay.

Then I wake up…

My driveway is steep. There are cracks and flaws. Grass and weeds beginning to sprout through the cracks. In the summer it is hot. Scorching. Squirrels scurry across on the balls of their feet as I imagine the driveway is too hot to their touch. Chipmunks burrow in the freshly laid mulch. Worms inch across slowly. Rabbits running from the neighbors garden with leafy greens. Birds touchdown briefly. Blue jays. Swallows. Carolina chickadee’s. Mockingbirds. Warblers.

Sitting on the driveway, trying to catch a tan in the sweltering summer. I drop a small crumb and watch the ants begin to break pieces and head back to home in sync. There is something peaceful and beautiful about staring at the perfectly orchestrated way they conduct themselves. It’s like they had military training. Like they have worked all their lives to show this kind of order. Watching them use their feelers, and move their heads at their necks, makes me think they are conversing on weather or not it’s a trap.

It is…

I wake up in a sweat. Moving my hands across my body I feel for the little terrors, but find none. How can something so small make me feel so powerless? That day I had been told by my boyfriend to fix my pale complexion and work on some squats to “get that ass.” I was sixteen. I was suffocating in what people thought about me. I couldn’t breathe because I was less than what people actually wanted. I was paralyzed with fear of being less than perfect. I couldn’t control my own body because someone else was setting my beauty on fire and trying to build anew.

On this hot summer day, with scorching temperatures, water could boil on the black top. Little jet black ants move across the steaming driveway carrying the bits of crumb back and forth. Magnifying glass in hand, I manipulate the sun to turn the scorch to a firey blaze claiming the little soldier’s lives. Something so beautiful in nature in front of me. Something I had spent an hour appreciating. I destroyed it. All of it. But why? For what?

I guess I was just happy to be in control.

For once, I wasn’t the beautiful thing being set on fire.
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2015 11:07:52 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy