STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Unsung Hero: More than Those Medals

John Michael Londres
Silent hours are boring. Ear-splitting moment is fun.

That was how I assumed things before. Happiness must always be noisy. But after I heard the tragic fate of the Filipino armies in Basilan, Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM), last November 3, 2014, my perception changed.

It was just a typical day for the armies having their security patrol. They were deployed there to clear a certain road for the priest who would be taking it. But the clouds of darkness gathered together, and out of the blue, an undetermined number of a notorious bandit group materialized and ambushed them. The armies, who were unprepared, took their last resort and faced the fatal blow. There was a tight gunfight between them and the rebels. When the roars subsided, a horrible scene traumatized the hearts of the witnesses; six of the armies died.

This twist of fate is terrible and destructive. This is not only a great lost in our country, but also to the families, they had not planned to leave. I just can’t help thinking of their children growing without them.

However, they showed how a father cares about his child. On that brink of surrendering, they still protected our country. They preferred to fight. They chose the call of their duty over their own life. This act, I believe, portrays a significant role, a worldly model that we ought to follow.

I see their valor as an epitome of heroism. They showed selfless deeds for the safety of our country. They were the vanguard of peace. Though temporary, they had emblazoned a beacon of hope in the darkest moment.

Their death opens me a window to see that silence doesn't bring boredom. It partakes tranquility, a peace of mind, a time to rest and escape from the noisy world. For them, silence was the moment when incessant chuckles of guns and bombs end. This was the time when they would hear the songs of nature instead of screams and cries of the innocents.

The Filipino armies were awarded with medals of Honor. They were acknowledged, but those medals, for me, don’t outweigh the tears of agony they held back. Those medals don’t define the courage they bestowed for the fulfillment of their duty. It is a saddening fact that they must sacrifice their lives first before they are appreciated. But I know God has prepared something parallel to what they truly deserve. He has wrapped the best recognition for them because these Filipino armies are the muffled voices of heroism. Their bravery is yet to be sung.

At this silent moment, I offer my sincerest prayer and deepest gratitude to them for the new perspective they imparted to me.

Silent hours must reign. Wars must cease.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy