Unsung Hero: More than Those Medals

John Michael Londres
Silent hours are boring. Ear-splitting moment is fun.

That was how I assumed things before. Happiness must always be noisy. But after I heard the tragic fate of the Filipino armies in Basilan, Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM), last November 3, 2014, my perception changed.

It was just a typical day for the armies having their security patrol. They were deployed there to clear a certain road for the priest who would be taking it. But the clouds of darkness gathered together, and out of the blue, an undetermined number of a notorious bandit group materialized and ambushed them. The armies, who were unprepared, took their last resort and faced the fatal blow. There was a tight gunfight between them and the rebels. When the roars subsided, a horrible scene traumatized the hearts of the witnesses; six of the armies died.

This twist of fate is terrible and destructive. This is not only a great lost in our country, but also to the families, they had not planned to leave. I just can’t help thinking of their children growing without them.

However, they showed how a father cares about his child. On that brink of surrendering, they still protected our country. They preferred to fight. They chose the call of their duty over their own life. This act, I believe, portrays a significant role, a worldly model that we ought to follow.

I see their valor as an epitome of heroism. They showed selfless deeds for the safety of our country. They were the vanguard of peace. Though temporary, they had emblazoned a beacon of hope in the darkest moment.

Their death opens me a window to see that silence doesn't bring boredom. It partakes tranquility, a peace of mind, a time to rest and escape from the noisy world. For them, silence was the moment when incessant chuckles of guns and bombs end. This was the time when they would hear the songs of nature instead of screams and cries of the innocents.

The Filipino armies were awarded with medals of Honor. They were acknowledged, but those medals, for me, don’t outweigh the tears of agony they held back. Those medals don’t define the courage they bestowed for the fulfillment of their duty. It is a saddening fact that they must sacrifice their lives first before they are appreciated. But I know God has prepared something parallel to what they truly deserve. He has wrapped the best recognition for them because these Filipino armies are the muffled voices of heroism. Their bravery is yet to be sung.

At this silent moment, I offer my sincerest prayer and deepest gratitude to them for the new perspective they imparted to me.

Silent hours must reign. Wars must cease.