I'm Thankful for Good Food and Good Company

JMoran
For 19 years I have spent every fourth Thursday of November settled somewhere between the turkey and the mashed potatoes trying to figure out something to say as my family each give thanks around the dinner table. I fail at every attempt to come up with some witty, new revelation to share, so I tend to stick to the classics. Good food and good company. Both which can’t go wrong as my family is pretty close with big hearts and bigger appetites. No question, I am proud to count myself among these good people, but I have to confess the redundancy of Thanksgiving is getting to me.
I don’t mean to sound bitter, it is great that we take a day to be grateful for the things we have but the one day is the where the problem lies. One day. Does this imply all other days are to be spent in stony ingratitude? It would be silly to suggest so. It is peculiar to me that we designate only this time to reflect on all our good fortunes. That’s certainly a lot of pressure trying to show appreciation for every significant thing or even remember every significant thing that has occurred in a year span. You can’t tell a person when to give thanks just as you can’t tell a cow when to give birth. It just happens. Naturally, the proper time to give thanks would be the moment a person or entity has helped you out. Gratitude doesn’t always work this way though. With things like family and friends, general concepts, there isn’t any one moment to thank people who are always there for you. Just like there should not be only one day to give thanks. These kinds of blessings should be appreciated throughout the year, even if as little as a Thank You card is sent. In this way, you can spread the spirit of Thanksgiving throughout the year instead of bottling it into one dinner conversation.
As I count my own blessings this year, (which had I not waited until November to start thinking about would make this list compiling much easier,) I find it hard to dig deep with the coming of finals just around the corner. Initially, my first thought was to be thankful all of the laundry machines were not taken up this evening or I would have been without jeans for the coming cold front. I also am thankful for rooming with my sister this semester and for the resulting arrangement not to end as bloody as the Boston Massacre. Despite our disagreements, she never fails to surprise me with the occasional touch of sister sympathy in the midst of her alpha female persona. Keeping this in mind, when boiled down to the bare bones in my turkey of gratitude the same thing always take the gravy for me. Good food and better company.