STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

A Slice of Life

cchinek
When you are a mostly-white, middle class, twenty-something, American college student, they tell you that the world is yours. Pumped full of my own propaganda, I fully subscribed to the belief that I was not only going to change the world. but that I was destined to change the world. It practically owed me. It did not.

Yes, I worked hard in school. But did that merit special money, special classes, special room and board? Should performing to the standard ever merit special praise? No.

But that wasn’t how I saw it, then. And at the end of four years, when I found myself needing another to complete my study, I was lost. I found myself without my comfortable scholarship padding, out of my home, without savings, without food. Most importantly, I found myself unable to admit that I was in trouble. Confusing pride and optimism, I barreled through.

I split a house with five other girls. There was no room for me inside, so I lived in the garage. I built a bed from cinderblocks and two old doors, and then stacked every blanket I owned to form a mattress. A wooden screen divided the desk from the bed, and I lit the whole garage with two desk lamps. A cheaply made rug someone had been about to throw away covered the cement floor, and I tacked posters to the thin drywall. The only entry was the garage door which made up an entire wall, so in the winter I had to move everything back to allow the snow to fall into the room and melt without soaking anything. All of my clothes were in two boxes next to the bed. There was an abandoned piano, too. If I wanted to go inside the house without opening the wall, I would climb over the top of the piano and through a window.

Without money for food or gas, I walked to and from school. It was in the mountains, and the hills were steep, and the roads were covered in snow. I arrived to class tired and wet. I ate one meal per day, and I begged fresh-baked cookies and disposable snacks from my roommates. It wasn’t the worst hardship in the world, but for two days I ate nothing but marshmallows. One day, I asked one of my friends for a slice of bread she had baked that morning. She considered it...

There was no reason for me to be doing this. I was too proud. Too proud to ask for help, and too proud to allow anyone to become a part of the mess I had made of my life.

...And she sliced off a piece of bread. “This was supposed to be for church, but I think that the congregation would agree that the spirit cannot even begin to be nourished until the body has.” I had been too proud, and then I was humbled.
Rate this:
Comment by cchinek

When you are a mostly-white, middle class, twenty-something, American college student, they tell you that the world is yours. Pumped full of my own propaganda, I fully subscribed to the belief that I was not only going to change the world. but that I was destined to change the world. It practically owed me. It did not.

Yes, I worked hard in school. But did that merit special money, special classes, special room and board? Should performing to the standard ever merit special praise? No.

But that wasn’t how I saw it, then. And at the end of four years, when I found myself needing another to complete my study, I was lost. I found myself without my comfortable scholarship padding, out of my home, without savings, without food. Most importantly, I found myself unable to admit that I was in trouble. Confusing pride and optimism, I barreled through.

I split a house with five other girls. There was no room for me inside, so I lived in the garage. I built a bed from cinderblocks and two old doors, and then stacked every blanket I owned to form a mattress. A wooden screen divided the desk from the bed, and I lit the whole garage with two desk lamps. A cheaply made rug someone had been about to throw away covered the cement floor, and I tacked posters to the thin drywall. The only entry was the garage door which made up an entire wall, so in the winter I had to move everything back to allow the snow to fall into the room and melt without soaking anything. All of my clothes were in two boxes next to the bed. There was an abandoned piano, too. If I wanted to go inside the house without opening the wall, I would climb over the top of the piano and through a window.

Without money for food or gas, I walked to and from school. It was in the mountains, and the hills were steep, and the roads were covered in snow. I arrived to class tired and wet. I ate one meal per day, and I begged fresh-baked cookies and disposable snacks from my roommates. It wasn’t the worst hardship in the world, but for two days I ate nothing but marshmallows. One day, I asked one of my friends for a slice of bread she had baked that morning. She considered it...

There was no reason for me to be doing this. I was too proud. Too proud to ask for help, and too proud to allow anyone to become a part of the mess I had made of my life.

...And she sliced off a piece of bread. “This was supposed to be for church, but I think that the congregation would agree that the spirit cannot even begin to be nourished until the body has.” I had been too proud, and then I was humbled.
Posted: Monday, December 1, 2014 1:31:39 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy