STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Food for Thought: The Connecting Power of the Kitchen

polkadotmatrix
“It was very pleasant to savor its aroma, for smells have the power to evoke the past, bringing back sounds and even other smells that have no match in the present.”
– Laura Esquivel

This quote is found in Laura Esquivel’s Like Water for Chocolate during a moment in which the aroma of a familiar dish is able to remind the protagonist of her lost identity, and, ultimately, heal her broken spirit. Esquivel’s novel centers around the kitchen, and the power it has to bring people together, even if they do not particularly wish for this to happen. Clothing styles cycle in and out of fashion, music changes constantly, and, in the end, even the written word can be lost. However, food, mundane as it is, can transcend generations, centuries, and even cultures long dead, as everyone must eat, and most prefer to eat the food that they grew up with.

Food is peculiar in that it is something that seldom changes with time, which imbues it with the power to be a point of common ground between generations, and gives the kitchen its connecting power. My family has several secret recipes that mothers pass on to children, as their mothers did to them. One of the most memorable is a fruit salad recipe that my great-grandmother passed on to my mother, who, in turn, passed it on to me and my sisters. My mother’s grandmother made her solemnly swear that she would never tell anyone but her own daughters her treasured fruit salad recipe, and she made good on the promise. She, in turn, made my sisters and I swear to tell no one but our own daughters the recipe. Every year, on Christmas or Thanksgiving, the secret fruit salad is made, which usually prompts my mother to tell a story about her grandmother. Though I never knew the woman of whom my mother speaks so fondly, the fact that I am able to assemble the much-loved dish that she concocted allows me to feel as though I have a small piece of her with me. I am able to carry on her legacy through her secret fruit salad.

I find it both wonderful and interesting that the kitchen has the ability to produce common ground – after all, though the kitchen has undergone drastic changes over the centuries, the products that it produces remain, more or less, the same. Consider, for example, the Germanic molasses cookie recipe in the possession of my paternal grandmother. According to the lore that comes with this recipe, this type of cookie has been made practically since time immemorial. Before this recipe was written down in Old Europe, it was passed down orally. Because this recipe was loved by so many people over the generations, I am able to produce the same product in my electric oven that, long ago, a woman like me produced with the use of a primitive wood stove. The culture from which this recipe emerged has changed beyond recognition, but the cookies remain the same. I find it doubtful that this recipe will be lost, for, just as one must sleep when one is tired, one must eat when one is hungry, and when one is hungry, what is more appetizing than a favorite dish? To quote Esquivel once again, “To the table or to bed, you must come when you are bid.”
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy