Food For Thought: Breaking Race and Age Separation

bonnieli.collins
Food is the ligaments in our relationships: the way ligament connects bones across the body, food connects people across generations and ethnic backgrounds. This can best be shown on the day my aunt held a party for her last of three adopted Chinese children. My family was all there. My aunt and everyone related to her was white, her husband and his family was Puerto Rican. Her newest daughter was about two, the rest of the family ranged from seven to ninety-eight. At first we seemed like an odd mixture of people, all clicked off in our groups broken off by age and race. Then, my aunt brought out her secret recipe. It's jello, marshmallow and something else: known as green stuff. As we gathered around the table suddenly race and age didn't matter: all that mattered was getting a good plateful of this delicious treat. A just like that we were all connected, all parts of ligament of one body: we were one in our connection of green stuff.