Food for Thought: Test Set Tuesday!

Trems76

As a proud member of the USA swimming team, I have been swimming for 14 years of my life. As you grow up, practices get harder as each stage in life progresses. After so many practices each year, 1 practice stands out to dare even the strongest athletes. My team participated in an athletic training test, The Chocolate Milk Test. In the past chocolate milk has been rumored to be one of the best recovery drinks for all outperforming athletes. To a typical grown male, who does not enjoy a cold glass of chocolate milk? Chocolate milk was a privilege for me growing up because it was originally classified as unhealthy, until these studies began to arise. This is when my coach proudly volunteered our varsity swim team for a study on the benefits that chocolate milk has on trained athlete.
It was an average morning, except for the fact that it was pitch black and 40 degrees in the windy city of Chicago. One source of background knowledge I can provide about all swimmers is that we dread the pools wet kiss at 4 in the morning. Upon entering the gates of a frozen hell, stacks of chocolate milk jugs lined 5 tables adjacent to the pool. Shrill screams coming from the girls and loud grunts from the men echoed throughout the facility that morning. We all realized that this practice would be different.
After stripping down into our swim suits the schedule was blared out into our ears. “Today we will be participating in a chocolate milk test, except I am adding a few extra parameters! We will be doing 25, 100 Freestyles this morning. Once you finish 1 of them, you will get out of the pool, and drink 1 of the glasses of chocolate milk. Each 100 you finish, you drink another glass until there is no one left. The last one to make it through all 100, will get their very own jug of chocolate milk.” My first thought upon hearing this set was, “Cool, we actually have an incentive to do something stupid.” Little did I know how stupid it would be? Another thing to add is that 100 Freestyles consist of 4 lengths of the pool while doing the stroke where 1 arm moves at a time.
Little by little, struggling swimmers exited the pool at varying lengths with a glass in their hands. This is not a story about a person like me being able to finish all of the practice, because I was out half way through. Not enough reward for my effort. You may be asking, what is the point in doing this test? The point in doing this test is to find out how effective chocolate milk is in recovering tired athletes. After all of our stomachs had recovered from our chocolate milk hangovers, we were told to jump back in the water and finish up another 25, 100 Freestyles until practice was finally finished.