Food For Thought: One Sticky Mess

sara.wallace.098
Thanksgiving has always been a big deal in my house, but the even bigger deal was my Grandma’s famous pumpkin rolls. My Grandma would spend weeks making tons of them. It seems like she gives one to everyone she knows and still has extras to store in the freezer. So obviously when I had the opportunity of helping her make them I could not be happier. [If you do not know what a pumpkin roll is: it is a pumpkin sheet cake that is frosted with cream cheese and then rolled up, thus giving it the name pumpkin roll.] Although, after that day of baking I never wanted to help make them ever again.
Grandma and I had one cake in the oven and the next batter was in the mixer becoming fluffy and perfect. Of course we keep our kitchen clean while baking, so I was wiping up the egg spillage while Grandma was checking the cake. I turned my head to say something to her and the next thing I know I am being wrenched backwards. My hair, which was put nicely up in to a pony tale, had been caught by the rotating whisks of the mixer. Obviously, that batter was not going to be used anymore.
Once Grandma was able to turn the mixer off and get the whisk detached from the machine she took me over to the couch where she carefully tried to get my hair untangled from the whisk. The fact that it was caked with eggs, sugar, and everything that makes for a perfectly sticky mess did not help at all. She filled the bath tub with very soapy, hot water. I laid in there for probably an hour just trying to get the goop out. I am still surprised that all my hair did not get ripped out or that we did not have to shave my head. Somehow Grandma got my hair back to normal, grandmas always seem to have to a special touch.
To this day I am still skeptical of using a mixer. I do enjoy baking, but I will hand mix before i have to use a mixer. I enjoy Grandma’s pumpkin rolls as much as everyone else, but leave the baking up to her and my older sister (whom always wears her hair in a bun).