Food for Thought: Grandpa's Meatballs

jacob_hoffer
The sweet and savory aroma of my grandfather’s secret recipe for meatballs fills the air every Thanksgiving and Christmas. The holiday season in my family is more of a food and music festival than anything else. Christmas music echoing throughout the house constantly, followed by the titillating scents of either the Thanksgiving turkey and veal, lobster and shrimp on Christmas eve, the pork roast on Christmas day, or, especially on all three of these days, the mouthwatering smell that is my grandfather’s meatballs frying on the stove.
Now before you think, “How special could meatballs be?” you must let me explain. These are not any ordinary, run of the mill meatballs. Grandpa’s meatballs are the most savory, flavorful food that I have ever had the pleasure of eating. To this day, I am not sure of everything that goes into this masterpiece of an appetizer, but the best part has to be the chunks of moist, flavor soaked bread that can be found in every single bite. A full loaf of Italian bread goes into each batch of meatballs and, although this sounds a bit out of the ordinary, it is the most important part. The bread sits inside of the meatballs as they fry and absorbs all of the juices and flavor that ordinarily would be cooked out into the frying pan making for the most flavorful meatballs that have ever been cooked.
When it comes to the Holidays, food is the priority in my family. There is no such thing as a good holiday if there is no good food to accompany it; more specifically, if Grandpa’s meatballs aren’t there to accompany it. It has been almost 10 years now since Grandpa has passed. His cooking was a huge staple in our relationship. I admired him for it and he always loved to cook for me and see the look on my face when something so simple as a plate of eggs or a root beer float appeared in front of me. Even when he was sick and in and out of the hospital, whenever he were home my mother and I would go over to his house and he would never even hesitate to whip me up a plate of scrambled eggs, and do so with a huge smile on his face knowing that as soon as I saw the plate of eggs the same smile would emanate onto my face. He is the reason that food is such an important part of my life and my family. Every holiday, my mom and my grandmother use Grandpa’s recipe for meatballs and although they could never be the same as the way Grandpa would make, when I am in my house during the Holidays and I smell that wonderful aroma once again I immediately think about Grandpa and all of the great holidays we had once spent together.