Food for Thought: Gram's Cinnamon Rolls

hspencer89
On many occasions we relate holidays to food. We usually have that traditional meal in store when we gather around the table to celebrate. Part of the celebration is consuming the food and enjoying it with family. Even after the main course we eat more food in the form of dessert. Dessert just so happens to be my favorite, especially when I am having it at Gram and Papa’s house.
Gram and Papa are my mother’s parents, and Gram is the best cook in all of Greater Cincinnati in my opinion. She can make everything from lasagna made from scratch, to baby back ribs with her special sauce, or my personal favorite, homemade cinnamon rolls. Gram typically makes her sweet rolls, as she calls them, around Christmas time, and I look forward to it all year round. My mouth salivates just saying the word and thinking about them.
First, Gram starts with making the dough from scratch which fills the house with a warming aroma. She then lets the dough rise, and as it rises my mouth salivates more and more. While the dough is rising she prepares the cinnamon filling for the interior of the roll. I usually sneak a finger into the bowl when she isn’t looking and take a lick of the ooey-gooey cinnamon and butter combination. After the dough rises, she slathers the cinnamon filling onto the dough and rolls it up into one long cinnamon roll. Gram then cuts the roll into individual bundles of deliciousness and plops them into a greased up baking tin. As soon as Gram slides the rolls into the oven it’s like a bomb went off.
A combination of cinnamon, butter, and fresh dough erupts throughout the house. It is a smell that will warms me when I am cold, fills my heart when I am upset, and a cure all for any sickness I ever have had. This smell makes memories flood into my mind, and it makes me feel at home. Gram has been making her famous sweet rolls for as long as I can remember, and they will always have the same effect on me.