Food for Thought: A Day in a Portuguese Kitchen

canaluso
Although growing up in a Portuguese family in a new country and environment had its hardships of adapting and trying to live a stable life and get back on our feet, it absolutely had its positives in the way that we still claimed our homeland near and dear to our hearts. Everyone on the community knew we were Portuguese not only by the huge Portuguese flag that would hang outside our house, but by the sweet smell that would sneak through the windows and doors out on the streets of my moms cooking everyday.
In the Portuguese culture it is very common for the husband to take care of all the hard work and providing “the bread on the table” meaning the money to pay the bills and make sure the family is taken care of. That being said, that would leave the lady of the house to stay home and watch over the kids and dedicate her life to cook and clean around the house. My “Mae”, which is what we call our mothers in Portugal, would always be in the kitchen making some creations whether it be making food for my little brother and I or for my father when he’d get home from a long day. My mother has dedicated her whole life to the kitchen, and it shows when she serves her food as many people call her to cook for them and their parties. Although cooking in general was my favorite memory from my mom and food in general, I can never get holidays out of my head. For example, Christmas was huge in my family. I remember waking up Christmas Eve and smelling the “Natas de Belem” which are very popular custard cakes from Portugal and then racing my little brother downstairs to begin cooking with mae. On Christmas Eve it would be meat that we would eat and Christmas day would be strictly fish. My little brother and I would always have the biggest smile on our faces as we joined together as a little Portuguese family far away from the motherland keeping the traditions alive with my mothers cooking that left many people lost for words and even my family to this day.
As a Portuguese family living life far from home, my mother always made sure that her cooking would always make us feel like we were eating a dinner back in our farm in Portugal. Many memories of food have been craved in my heart, but my moms heart that pours out to her cooking will always be the top.