STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Food for Thought: Chinese Food for Breakfast?

hglassman80
Food for Thought: Chinese for Breakfast?

If I were asked, “What food would you eat every day for the rest of your life?” Dim Sum would be the food of choice. I could eat this particular meal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but this meal oddly tastes so much better on a Sunday morning. Some people may think that Chinese food for breakfast is a gross or a taboo thing to consume. My only response would be, “Then you’ve obviously never had Silver Pond’s dim sum.”
I grew up in a Jewish, and Asian community. I myself am Jewish. If you were to ask any Jewish New Yorker or New Jerseyan, what their favorite food was, there is a very high possibility that they would probably say Chinese. We all grew up on it. But I had the privilege of living close in proximity to an incredible Chinese food restaurant place that inevitably became an instant hit among the neighboring Jewish and Asian communities. Its name is Silver Pond, located in Fort Lee New Jersey, and it is still around to this day.
There was a time where it was not around. About four years ago, Silver Pond went under renovation. After about a year, many locals wondered why it had not reopened. It turns out that the owner was considering selling the building and closing down the restaurant. Thankfully the owner came to his senses, reopened Silver Pond, and made it better than ever.
The food they serve is not just regular Chinese Food that one can get at any Chinese food restaurant place; they serve a particular kind of Chinese food called Dim Sum. This translates into steamed dumplings or fried dumplings filled with different meats and/or vegetables. Every single dish that comes out of that kitchen tastes incredible. The food is brought out in metal carts or trays, and you choose the food you want by just looking at what they put forth in front of you. You do not order the food by asking because they do not have waiters, they just have servers. But there is this one dish in particular that my mother and I will go out of our way for. It is called chive dumplings. Each order comes with three, four inch in diameter dumplings filled with shrimp and chives, wrapped in a translucent, gooey, noodle-like skin. This might sound disgusting to most people and honestly, it sounded gross the first time I heard about it. But as soon as you take a bite, your amygdala will light up like fireworks due to the instant rush of warm and gooey deliciousness. Come to New Jersey and I’ll show you a food that will change your perception on Chinese food.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy