Food for Thought: Chinese Food for Breakfast?

hglassman80
Food for Thought: Chinese for Breakfast?

If I were asked, “What food would you eat every day for the rest of your life?” Dim Sum would be the food of choice. I could eat this particular meal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but this meal oddly tastes so much better on a Sunday morning. Some people may think that Chinese food for breakfast is a gross or a taboo thing to consume. My only response would be, “Then you’ve obviously never had Silver Pond’s dim sum.”
I grew up in a Jewish, and Asian community. I myself am Jewish. If you were to ask any Jewish New Yorker or New Jerseyan, what their favorite food was, there is a very high possibility that they would probably say Chinese. We all grew up on it. But I had the privilege of living close in proximity to an incredible Chinese food restaurant place that inevitably became an instant hit among the neighboring Jewish and Asian communities. Its name is Silver Pond, located in Fort Lee New Jersey, and it is still around to this day.
There was a time where it was not around. About four years ago, Silver Pond went under renovation. After about a year, many locals wondered why it had not reopened. It turns out that the owner was considering selling the building and closing down the restaurant. Thankfully the owner came to his senses, reopened Silver Pond, and made it better than ever.
The food they serve is not just regular Chinese Food that one can get at any Chinese food restaurant place; they serve a particular kind of Chinese food called Dim Sum. This translates into steamed dumplings or fried dumplings filled with different meats and/or vegetables. Every single dish that comes out of that kitchen tastes incredible. The food is brought out in metal carts or trays, and you choose the food you want by just looking at what they put forth in front of you. You do not order the food by asking because they do not have waiters, they just have servers. But there is this one dish in particular that my mother and I will go out of our way for. It is called chive dumplings. Each order comes with three, four inch in diameter dumplings filled with shrimp and chives, wrapped in a translucent, gooey, noodle-like skin. This might sound disgusting to most people and honestly, it sounded gross the first time I heard about it. But as soon as you take a bite, your amygdala will light up like fireworks due to the instant rush of warm and gooey deliciousness. Come to New Jersey and I’ll show you a food that will change your perception on Chinese food.