STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Food for Thought: Stop and Taste the Sauces

DeeViant
“Welcome to yet another light-speed, non-stop food shop. Please give us your hard- earned, well-deserved commodity cash and we’ll give you this overly-processed, undercooked mystery meat. Bon appetit!” This is all I hear at every drive-thru, at all the restaurants. Gone is the age of quality it seems; now the rise of mass produced food is upon us and the fall of the culinary arts is nigh!
Forgive me, I sound like Yoda on caffeine high. It may sound crazy, but all of these sweet deals, low prices, and swift delivery caused a huge gap in the quality of food. Back in the day food was a pleasure to be enjoyed; it was something that could bring communities together, something that could awaken our souls; back in the day people prayed to give thanks for their food, now the only prayer that I hear is, “Please don’t give me Salmonella.” I remember eating at a McDonald’s once, I thought nothing of it; it was what I was used to. My family and I were lucky enough to go on a vacation once as well. I remember the food above anything else; to put it in an artistic, abstract, and slightly strange perspective: it was as if a peace of heaven had prancingly descended upon my taste buds and the flavors detonated in my mouth in such violent beauty that the force knocked my mind into the next dimension for the next sixty seconds before I reluctantly returned to reality as I swallowed. It was also much more filling than McDonald’s. I learned what the word quality actually meant in that moment; it was something I never got to experience anywhere else. Why something so beautiful is kept hidden away from ninety-nine percent of the planet is a mystery. Why that ninety-nine percent doesn't even ask for a share is beyond even Yoda’s comprehension. I can see that the quality of our food and our lives has diminished over these past few years, and it saddens me. Rather than let life and its wonderful taste just zip on by right over our tongues and swallowed like a pill, shouldn't we just stop for a second and actually taste the seasoning, the sauces, and the spices? Shouldn't we just stop forcing down thousands of pounds to realize that a single bite could fill us all? It’s all we really need, after all. That amazing dish looked no bigger or as impressive as a Big Mac, but it shattered everything I knew about the food I had eaten thus far.
“The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity answered: ‘Man. Because he sacrifices health to make money, then sacrifices money to recuperate health. He is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never truly lived.’”
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy