Food for Thought: Stop and Taste the Sauces

DeeViant
“Welcome to yet another light-speed, non-stop food shop. Please give us your hard- earned, well-deserved commodity cash and we’ll give you this overly-processed, undercooked mystery meat. Bon appetit!” This is all I hear at every drive-thru, at all the restaurants. Gone is the age of quality it seems; now the rise of mass produced food is upon us and the fall of the culinary arts is nigh!
Forgive me, I sound like Yoda on caffeine high. It may sound crazy, but all of these sweet deals, low prices, and swift delivery caused a huge gap in the quality of food. Back in the day food was a pleasure to be enjoyed; it was something that could bring communities together, something that could awaken our souls; back in the day people prayed to give thanks for their food, now the only prayer that I hear is, “Please don’t give me Salmonella.” I remember eating at a McDonald’s once, I thought nothing of it; it was what I was used to. My family and I were lucky enough to go on a vacation once as well. I remember the food above anything else; to put it in an artistic, abstract, and slightly strange perspective: it was as if a peace of heaven had prancingly descended upon my taste buds and the flavors detonated in my mouth in such violent beauty that the force knocked my mind into the next dimension for the next sixty seconds before I reluctantly returned to reality as I swallowed. It was also much more filling than McDonald’s. I learned what the word quality actually meant in that moment; it was something I never got to experience anywhere else. Why something so beautiful is kept hidden away from ninety-nine percent of the planet is a mystery. Why that ninety-nine percent doesn't even ask for a share is beyond even Yoda’s comprehension. I can see that the quality of our food and our lives has diminished over these past few years, and it saddens me. Rather than let life and its wonderful taste just zip on by right over our tongues and swallowed like a pill, shouldn't we just stop for a second and actually taste the seasoning, the sauces, and the spices? Shouldn't we just stop forcing down thousands of pounds to realize that a single bite could fill us all? It’s all we really need, after all. That amazing dish looked no bigger or as impressive as a Big Mac, but it shattered everything I knew about the food I had eaten thus far.
“The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity answered: ‘Man. Because he sacrifices health to make money, then sacrifices money to recuperate health. He is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never truly lived.’”