Food for Thought: The Tradition

kacy.kerak
The first thing that comes to mind when someone brings up food is Chipotle Mexican Grill. Chipotle is a restaurant that my friends and I from home go to every Friday for lunch, so I guess you could say we made it a tradition. I don’t quite remember how the tradition started but it’s a tasty occasion where we all can reconnect. I knew that once I came to college we wouldn’t be able to carry on the tradition because we all are so far away from each other.
I didn’t what those times to end because I really appreciate every time we enjoyed meals together at Chipotle. We were not just there for the amazing burritos; we would go there and socialize for hours. My friends and I even made it a rule that we’re not allowed to take out our phones because we wanted to catch up and talk about how every thing was going in each other’s lives. Now when I enter Chipotle I always have an enormous smile on my face because I’ve had nothing but great memories there. As silly as the tradition is, it was special to me so I’m going to miss the times in Chipotle with my closest friends.
Since I have been at college I have had to settle for burritos made in the cafeteria multiple times. It’s a shame that I have come to that, but I can’t help myself since I obsess over Burritos, or any Mexican cuisine for that matter. After eating food in the schools cafeteria day after day I to get sick of it quickly and I find myself craving Chipotle all the time. I started to go every now and then as long as I had extra cash on me because college life isn’t cheap. After going there alone a few times I started to get upset over the fact that I had no one to enjoy the burritos with and I thought my love for Chipotle was coming to an end.
Luckily the tradition is back on, but with new friends that I have made at college. We can’t go every Friday because our schedules don’t always match up but we decided to make it a Sunday night feast. My one friend and I even started to realize that we have way more in common that our love for Chipotle. I’m happy tradition can continue even while I’m at college.