Food For Thought: An Anniversary Dinner

aojohnson
This past October my family and I recently went out to dinner to celebrate the 60th anniversary of my grandparents. We are a big Italian family, so we went out to an Italian restaurant called Maggiano’s. We usually try to go to this restaurant once a year. but this time it was for a special occasion. Even though this dinner was to celebrate my grandparents, they still insisted on doing all the planning. They picked the restaurant and the courses, and they invited everyone to come celebrate their marriage.
When we got to the restaurant everyone slowly straggled in family by family. We were in a private room downstairs which was nice because we weren’t confined to one table. As each person came into the room you could see the smile on my grandparents’ faces while greeting them and thanking them for coming. We stood around the room anxiously waiting for the food to begin coming out. I got to see and talk to some relatives I had not seen a in a long time. I stood there and thought about how wonderful it was that we all came together to celebrate the long marriage of two of the kindest people I know.
As soon as the first course of appetizers came out everyone quickly moved to their tables in excitement to begin eating, but before I could take a bite of my salad my grandfather stood up. He began telling everyone in the room about how happy he was to be celebrating sixty years of his marriage with the entire family, especially my grandmother. My grandfather asked us to look at the menu that was on the table in front of us. I looked down underneath my plate that was already filled with food, and I saw a small menu that read “Olga and Edward’s 60th Anniversary Dinner” at the top of it. Below the title listed each food item that would be served that evening.
After everyone finished looking over the menus my grandfather continued to tell us that each item picked on the menu had a significance to their marriage. There were items such as chicken parm because they split that on their first date, salmon because they had that at their wedding, and Caesar salad because they made that together before every meal they ate. My grandfather went down the whole menu from appetizers to desserts explain why each item had an importance to their marriage.
While I ate each piece of food I thought about its significant to my grandparents, and that made the food even more special. This one dinner made me realize how much value food can actually have, and that it can mean more than what it actually shows. Since that anniversary dinner I think of my grandparents every time I eat any one of those foods.