Food for Thought

abbeylassley
In my family, food is everything. There is no celebration with out food and if you come to my Oma’s house there is no possible way that you will leave hungry. Food brings all of us together and makes everyone happy. One of my greatest memories involves making food. I remember I was in the tiny kitchen at my Oma’s house and she had me up on a stool cracking eggs. She said to be very careful with the shells because if one got in the batter then you would have a very unhappy german man, which happened to be my Opa. Cooking with her lead me to a love that I did not know I had. I absolutely love to cook and I believe it is because cooking always brings me that much closer to my Oma, even though she is 200 miles away.
Being able to bring everyone together with something that you have created is the best feeling in the world. You put those smiles on everyones face, and you get the chance to make everyone happy and forget their troubles for a little while. Around the dinner table, everything but that moment in time is forgotten. The world melts away like butter on a roll and everyone is in that state of bliss that you can’t get anywhere else. People are just happy when they are together around a dinner table.
Ever since that moment in the kitchen, I have wanted to become a chef. I watch food network whenever I got the chance, always learning new techniques from Bobby Flay, or new short cuts from Rachel Ray. My favorite however, was and still is Giada DeLarentis. She is a classic italian cook, and a wonderful human being. The dishes she creates could bring two warring countries together. That is what I want to become. Someone who makes incredibly unique and delicious dishes that make people speechless. My dream is to have my own little restaurant that no one really knows about, like a hole in the wall from the outside, but a whole new world on the inside. People will walk by and not even notice the building, but the smell is what will draw them in. The aroma of the down home, comfort food will be too good to pass up, and they will have to come inside and see what it’s all about. My restaurant will have regulars that I will know by name, and everyone will be like family when coming in. That is how I think a restaurant should be. People should walk in and feel like they are back at their own Oma’s house, cooking with her in the kitchen. I can not image a better way to spend my life, because if I could stay and help cook with my Oma everyday, I would.
Abbey L.