Identity: I am.

Hoang
“I am—“ And I pause to think: How do I complete it? Then the identities roll in. A boy; a son; a brother; a friend; a student; a classmate; a reader; a writer; a gamer; a nerd—-all these at once, and never one without the rest. But I pause, still, for none of them is acceptable.

To someone watching the world, I am not “the boy” or “the son” or “the gamer.” There are too many of those. The only hope of correctly identifying me is with a number. I am a number. And I am important, because there are no unimportant numbers. Take me out of the world-—out of its equation—-and what’s left is incomplete and will always be, because I was there and none can take my place. But still, I pause, for that, too, is unacceptable.

It is all too much. The more I describe myself, the vaguer I become. Perhaps the closest description is “I am myself.” But even that is unacceptable. I realize there is no need for a description. There is no me to find—-only a me to acknowledge. I exist. That is all.

I pause no longer, but close my lips. Not a single syllable more is necessary. “I am” is not a fragment that begs for completion. It is a bold declaration:

I am. I am. I am.