The Olympic Spirit: International Connection

SuejeanC
I remember listening to my mother when I was little in awe as she talked about the 1988 Summer Olympics in South Korea. Everywhere you turned you could feel the air crackle with an almost tangible excitement and pride the people emanated. A new energy seemed to surge as if a spell was casted over the citizens. It was a new opportunity for the growing country. And when the Seoul Olympic Stadium finally opened and as athletes from all over the world filed in, it was official that Korea was now truly a part of this world as a country.
The Olympics unite people all around the world; from families getting together to watch it on television to a whole country working together to provide its best for the world to see. There's a certain jittery feeling one feels in anticipation for these games. It sounds simple enough; a collection of competitions and medals. But strangely and inexplicably it is so much more. These collections of games started off as a show of "supreme athleticism" and "to unite the nations in times of peace". As the other countries adopted these games the world realized this isn't about themselves anymore, but to form a international union. As countries fight wars or seclude themselves in the far corners of the world, once every 4 years the same countries drop their weapons to show their patriotic pride and to once more prove their part in this union. The Olympics can also be a new beginning for countries like Korea, which was still adjusting from the Korean War. On the other hand, the Olympics can mean an ending to a country like Russia. As social media exposes the conditions in Russia of violence and disarray, every move the country now makes is under the eye and criticism of the world.
The Olympics are not just a television show or a couple of games. It's an international tradition that has been uniting hundreds of countries for decades. For those few weeks, violence and other problems are put down in reminder that although countries might be separated by sea or boundaries, they are ultimately interconnected. My mother always concluded her stories about the Olympics; as the sky light up with fireworks in the closing ceremony, people from different countries looked across the stadium one last time to celebrate this joining of heart and mind.