STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

The Olympic Spirit: Running Through Life

scottij16

"There’s no talent for effort," I heard repeating in my head as my feet continued to pound upon the treadmill with a ferocity previously inconceivable to me. His words ran through my head as I surpassed three miles. "Not Bad," I thought as I continued to run, now slightly panting but still in control. I cannot explain the feeling, the almost contradictory sensation of adrenaline and urgency mixed with calm washing over me as I run. I listen to music and think about my day, think about my life, and think about my future. Some of the best-decision-making I have ever made was on the treadmill dry-mouthed and sweating; willing myself to run for just one more song. A quiet determination encompasses me in my running bubble and suddenly I feel invincible, untouchable.

I remember the frivolous reason I started running in the first place; a boy had insulted my integrity and took advantage of my optimistic nature. I wanted to feel strong again. I channeled my pain and frustration through running and fixed my broken pride. The confidence I gained through my perseverance running each day dissolved the wall of insecurity that blocked my path to greater adventures and achievements. I am intelligent, I am in great shape, I am hilarious; and that boy was undeserving of my affections. I remember him asking me out on a date a few months later and laughing to myself as a revitalized woman. "Not in this lifetime or any other," I retorted, as I relished in the boy’s perplexed expression.

My purpose for running evolved, now it was for field hockey that I ran, for my team, for my coach, for myself. Running in its most literal and metaphorical sense keeps me grounded. I will always be running in life; whether its running for a class office, chasing down ideas for projects and essays, or just running in place; torn by indecision. My curiosity and vast interest in a multitude of activities has always propelled me through life. I’m always searching for change and challenge. I will never be satisfied with a half-hearted jog. I speak with enthusiasm, smile with sincerity, laugh with contentment, love with passion, and play field hockey like my coach is chasing me with a stick. My life is a marathon and I can’t let up for one second. That is why I put effort in everything I do. I immerse myself fully in life’s race because I know what’s at stake for me. I know the standard of proficiency that I have set for myself and I refuse to let my pace be compromised by the cramps at my sides or obstacles ahead. I will finish the race and I will win it.

"There’s no talent for effort," he said at halftime; and I knew he was right.

Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy