The Olympic Spirit: Running Through Life

scottij16

"There’s no talent for effort," I heard repeating in my head as my feet continued to pound upon the treadmill with a ferocity previously inconceivable to me. His words ran through my head as I surpassed three miles. "Not Bad," I thought as I continued to run, now slightly panting but still in control. I cannot explain the feeling, the almost contradictory sensation of adrenaline and urgency mixed with calm washing over me as I run. I listen to music and think about my day, think about my life, and think about my future. Some of the best-decision-making I have ever made was on the treadmill dry-mouthed and sweating; willing myself to run for just one more song. A quiet determination encompasses me in my running bubble and suddenly I feel invincible, untouchable.

I remember the frivolous reason I started running in the first place; a boy had insulted my integrity and took advantage of my optimistic nature. I wanted to feel strong again. I channeled my pain and frustration through running and fixed my broken pride. The confidence I gained through my perseverance running each day dissolved the wall of insecurity that blocked my path to greater adventures and achievements. I am intelligent, I am in great shape, I am hilarious; and that boy was undeserving of my affections. I remember him asking me out on a date a few months later and laughing to myself as a revitalized woman. "Not in this lifetime or any other," I retorted, as I relished in the boy’s perplexed expression.

My purpose for running evolved, now it was for field hockey that I ran, for my team, for my coach, for myself. Running in its most literal and metaphorical sense keeps me grounded. I will always be running in life; whether its running for a class office, chasing down ideas for projects and essays, or just running in place; torn by indecision. My curiosity and vast interest in a multitude of activities has always propelled me through life. I’m always searching for change and challenge. I will never be satisfied with a half-hearted jog. I speak with enthusiasm, smile with sincerity, laugh with contentment, love with passion, and play field hockey like my coach is chasing me with a stick. My life is a marathon and I can’t let up for one second. That is why I put effort in everything I do. I immerse myself fully in life’s race because I know what’s at stake for me. I know the standard of proficiency that I have set for myself and I refuse to let my pace be compromised by the cramps at my sides or obstacles ahead. I will finish the race and I will win it.

"There’s no talent for effort," he said at halftime; and I knew he was right.