I'm scared of moving on while my shell is left behind.

alaskapetrie
I’m scared of dying. Not so much dying itself, but being dead. It’s unknown. It’s darkness that you know is being lived on through others on raspy voices, or tears, or gossip. I am terrified of being seen dead. I’m terrified to have my outside body lay lifeless and useless while my soul continues its eternal journey. I’m scared of how people will depict how I lived when I won’t be around to defend myself. I wonder what they’ll say I was like, or what my best traits were, or what annoying habits I had, now that I’m not around to get my heart broken anymore. It scares me to think someone I love will be looking down on my stone cold face of brittle hair and blue skin, and they will be staring at what used to be a part of me. Now it’s just a hunk of skin that looks like me that has become a part of no one. I’m scared of someone looking down into my eyes, or onto my skin, and have it be different than when I used to fill them with colour and light. No one who’s died has ever come back to tell us what happens. What if that’s it? What if my memory is erased, and I’m suddenly a newborn, years into the future in a different country? I’ll never get to know who missed me, or if my best friend got married, or if that boy from senior year in high school ever really loved me at all. I would never know when exactly people stopped saying my name accompanied by a sigh, or when exactly they stopped saying it at all. I’m petrified of dying.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your FEAR essay being chosen as a semi-finalist in this month’s writing competition. This is a huge accomplishment since we received over 160 essays this month. Please feel free to share your “semi-finalist status” with the world.

Although your essay will not be selected as one of the top three this month, please know that we believe that you are a fabulous writer and we hope to see more of your work on our site.

You can view all the results by clicking on this link: http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/WhatScaresTeens.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World, One Story at a Time”

Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 3:23:20 PM