I am scared of the perennial creepy-crawlies

chewbaccacat
You could say I'm pretty horrified by a lot of things: James Wan thrillers, the spine-chilling creaking and cracking that appears to only be audible when I'm home alone, people who wear full body-suits to the beach…
But I think one of my biggest fears is one of the smallest things that scuttle around the globe: the ant. Yes, the almighty and powerful ant. I am absolutely terrified of their creeping colonies that stealthily file into my room whenever there is even a trace of a bread crumb or jelly stain. There is no gentle attack when it comes to ants, they are as gung-ho as children at the break of a piñata. Just last night, as I was innocently typing at my keyboard, penciling in some last notes-completely in the zone for last-minute studying, a dot of black caught my peripheral eye. A moving dot of black. I watched as this dot linked itself with another wandering dot and another and another. I was stupefied. What the heck? Didn't these ants have any sense of consideration? Couldn't they have at least come when, well, when I wasn't in the room? It's not that hard to form a decent schedule. Long story short, I followed the mingling dots down to a galactic puddle of black that was squirming around a cracker crumb. I determinedly pointed the nozzle of the bug spray in that direction, left my animal loving self astray, and watched them drown in citrus-scented poison. I dusted off my hands, went back to my seat with a proud smile and glanced up to find a lone black dot fleeing the danger. Touche little ant, touché.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your FEAR essay being chosen as 1 of our 10 essays in the running for 1st place in this month’s writing competition. This is a huge accomplishment since we received over 160 essays this month. Please feel free to share your “runner up” status with the world.

We are in the process of selecting our top three winners. If you are selected as the winner of this month’s competition, we will contact you directly via the email you used for registration.

In the meantime, you can view all the results by clicking on this link: http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/WhatScaresTeens.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World, One Story at a Time”

Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 3:42:33 PM
Comment by NicoleLVMullis

I love the use of language in this essay. Fun piece - good job.

Nicole L.V. Mullis
Raising a Family Editor
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 4:30:08 PM
Comment by dusmit

Cool story bruh
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2015 8:34:25 PM