Patriotism: Love Thy Country

Amanda M
Patriotism by definition is the love of one’s country and the willingness to sacrifice for it. (www.vocabulary.com, 2013). What does patriotism mean to me and my fellow Americans? What is it about America that makes me proud to be a born citizen of the United States? To me patriotism is the devotion and loyalty one has for their country, and I am proud to be a part of the United States because of the traditions and honorable morals established by my ancestors over two hundred years ago.
When the Twin Towers and the Pentagon were attacked on September 11, 2001, I was horrified. Yes I was only thirteen years old, but I had a general understanding that our nation’s freedom was in jeopardy. Civil servants sacrificed their lives to save others. Military personnel were soon deployed to the Middle East to challenge the terrorists that destroyed thousands of innocent lives. The events of 9/11 had inspired me to swear an oath to defend my country and the citizens that reside within America. Nine years later, I was sworn into the Air Force and shipped to Lackland Air Force Base for training.
After a grueling eight weeks of basic military training, I finally graduated and earned my first rank of Airman First Class. My heart swelled with pride as I marched down the bomb run to the beat of the marching band. Right then and there was one of the few moments where I stood proud ready to defend my country and for the history that my forefathers fought for. During my tour in the Air Force, I had the opportunity to join the base honor guard at Scott AFB, Illinois. I assisted the Honor Guard in putting to rest active duty and veterans who served in the Armed Forces before my time. These fallen members reminded me as to why I took the oath to honor and defend America even in its darkest hour.
Not only am I proud to be an American citizen and having the honor of serving in the military and being a part of a proud heritage, but also because of the history that America has built over the last two hundred years. During the American Revolution the Thirteen Colonies rose up and rebelled against a tyrant over three thousand miles away. They fought that war despite being outnumbered by the British Army and won. In 1776 the Declaration of Independence was signed and made clear the principles that our country upholds today. My family raised me by those ethics to where I stand proud and true.
Many Americans nowadays, are not satisfied with the direction Congress and the president are steering the country in. However it is not about the politics or being the richest country in the world. It’s about living your life to the fullest in the country that you grew up in and also standing by it in times of need. That is what patriotism means to me.
Comment by anna1was

I love the detail in your post. I salute you, Amanda M.
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 12:12:57 AM