STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Patriotism: Love Thy Country

Amanda M
Patriotism by definition is the love of one’s country and the willingness to sacrifice for it. (www.vocabulary.com, 2013). What does patriotism mean to me and my fellow Americans? What is it about America that makes me proud to be a born citizen of the United States? To me patriotism is the devotion and loyalty one has for their country, and I am proud to be a part of the United States because of the traditions and honorable morals established by my ancestors over two hundred years ago.
When the Twin Towers and the Pentagon were attacked on September 11, 2001, I was horrified. Yes I was only thirteen years old, but I had a general understanding that our nation’s freedom was in jeopardy. Civil servants sacrificed their lives to save others. Military personnel were soon deployed to the Middle East to challenge the terrorists that destroyed thousands of innocent lives. The events of 9/11 had inspired me to swear an oath to defend my country and the citizens that reside within America. Nine years later, I was sworn into the Air Force and shipped to Lackland Air Force Base for training.
After a grueling eight weeks of basic military training, I finally graduated and earned my first rank of Airman First Class. My heart swelled with pride as I marched down the bomb run to the beat of the marching band. Right then and there was one of the few moments where I stood proud ready to defend my country and for the history that my forefathers fought for. During my tour in the Air Force, I had the opportunity to join the base honor guard at Scott AFB, Illinois. I assisted the Honor Guard in putting to rest active duty and veterans who served in the Armed Forces before my time. These fallen members reminded me as to why I took the oath to honor and defend America even in its darkest hour.
Not only am I proud to be an American citizen and having the honor of serving in the military and being a part of a proud heritage, but also because of the history that America has built over the last two hundred years. During the American Revolution the Thirteen Colonies rose up and rebelled against a tyrant over three thousand miles away. They fought that war despite being outnumbered by the British Army and won. In 1776 the Declaration of Independence was signed and made clear the principles that our country upholds today. My family raised me by those ethics to where I stand proud and true.
Many Americans nowadays, are not satisfied with the direction Congress and the president are steering the country in. However it is not about the politics or being the richest country in the world. It’s about living your life to the fullest in the country that you grew up in and also standing by it in times of need. That is what patriotism means to me.
Rate this:
Comment by anna1was

I love the detail in your post. I salute you, Amanda M.
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 12:12:57 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy