Trust and Safety: To what extent?

nikitasaha12
Here i am, sitting in front of my computer, with eyes which have seen only 14 years of life, and yet have seen so much of its hardships.Who can hope to be safe? who sufficiently cautious? In today's world it is almost impossible to feel safe because at any moment, any place, any time i may be taking my last breath because of the dirty deeds of some corrupt people. At such a point, can i expect my parents, school or government to be present there to help me out of that impossible condition?
If the people cannot trust their government to do the job for which it exists - to protect them and to promote their common welfare - all else is lost.
Barack Obama
If i think of the various kinds of situations i may face in life, i feel scared. I have seen on t.v the kind of ordeals people have faced. I have seen news' of people dying in my city, due to bomb blastS by the neighboring country. How much ever my government tries, it is unsuccessful to prevent these attacks. If i say that the government is not doing enough, it would be great folly. I don't even have the detailed knowledge of the security system set up by the government. My government has its laws which it has to abide by. Working within those limits and trying to keep the whole country safe is no easy task. The laws of my country keep me safe. Tomorrow if i am kidnapped by a politician's son i know that the independent judiciary WILL punish the wrongdoer. If their is some kind of foul practice in the whole system like bribing etc. i can trust the media and higher courts to bring about the right action. I trust my laws. Hence, i trust my government.
I live in the economic capital of the country, the center of most of the attacks in the country. 6 hours a day i spend in my school. The rest at home. In school i see a tranquil and positive environment. At home i see the same. All the adults around me are trying to protect me from the hardships of the world as long as they can. But thanks to media, i know what is happening around the world. Be it the terror attacks in my city or protest marches in far west, the kind of exposure i get just reminds me of the violence and terror the world faces everyday. i look at my school gate and see it armed with two typical guards with curled mustaches. But if i look closely i see that one of them is sleeping and the other chatting on the phone. How am i supposed to feel safe? The adults in school pretend that they are doing their best to protect us.Maybe they are making the full use of their resources. But my mind urges for more security.Yet, in extreme situations, school declares a holiday and i am put under the protection of my parents. Them i trust i wholeheartedly. I am confident that they would go to any extent to protect me. At home i am provided with the best security the money of my parents can buy. I know that that they are doing their best.
I am aware that i am a 'turbulent teen'. Our brains don't function the same way as adults. My friends run after their 'cool' peers and mimic them in every possible way. They adopt a new trend without pondering over its functionality. The kind of exposure we get today has enabled us to do anything. Parents, teachers and the government may protect us from the wrongdoers, but who will protect us from ourselves?
Everyday i wake up to see a new dawn. I wake up with the sound of laughs of my loving family. I go to school full of positive energy. I see an efficient government supporting my every move. i am happily alive today. As long as there exist efficient and positive people around me, i feel safe. I would conclude by stating:
The policy of being too cautious is the greatest risk of all.
Jawaharlal Nehru

Comment by Taylor

policy always be boring whereas life is nice
Posted: Saturday, November 5, 2011 10:22:08 AM
Comment by nikitasaha12

sorry, i didn't follow.
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2011 11:20:06 AM
Comment by Justina

I admire your strength and sense of optimism (especially at the end of the essay). You articulated your thoughts well and it was a joy to read. Keep writing!
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 11:51:27 PM
Comment by nikitasaha12

oh thanks a lot!!
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:25:11 AM