STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Trust and Safety: To what extent?

nikitasaha12
Here i am, sitting in front of my computer, with eyes which have seen only 14 years of life, and yet have seen so much of its hardships.Who can hope to be safe? who sufficiently cautious? In today's world it is almost impossible to feel safe because at any moment, any place, any time i may be taking my last breath because of the dirty deeds of some corrupt people. At such a point, can i expect my parents, school or government to be present there to help me out of that impossible condition?
If the people cannot trust their government to do the job for which it exists - to protect them and to promote their common welfare - all else is lost.
Barack Obama
If i think of the various kinds of situations i may face in life, i feel scared. I have seen on t.v the kind of ordeals people have faced. I have seen news' of people dying in my city, due to bomb blastS by the neighboring country. How much ever my government tries, it is unsuccessful to prevent these attacks. If i say that the government is not doing enough, it would be great folly. I don't even have the detailed knowledge of the security system set up by the government. My government has its laws which it has to abide by. Working within those limits and trying to keep the whole country safe is no easy task. The laws of my country keep me safe. Tomorrow if i am kidnapped by a politician's son i know that the independent judiciary WILL punish the wrongdoer. If their is some kind of foul practice in the whole system like bribing etc. i can trust the media and higher courts to bring about the right action. I trust my laws. Hence, i trust my government.
I live in the economic capital of the country, the center of most of the attacks in the country. 6 hours a day i spend in my school. The rest at home. In school i see a tranquil and positive environment. At home i see the same. All the adults around me are trying to protect me from the hardships of the world as long as they can. But thanks to media, i know what is happening around the world. Be it the terror attacks in my city or protest marches in far west, the kind of exposure i get just reminds me of the violence and terror the world faces everyday. i look at my school gate and see it armed with two typical guards with curled mustaches. But if i look closely i see that one of them is sleeping and the other chatting on the phone. How am i supposed to feel safe? The adults in school pretend that they are doing their best to protect us.Maybe they are making the full use of their resources. But my mind urges for more security.Yet, in extreme situations, school declares a holiday and i am put under the protection of my parents. Them i trust i wholeheartedly. I am confident that they would go to any extent to protect me. At home i am provided with the best security the money of my parents can buy. I know that that they are doing their best.
I am aware that i am a 'turbulent teen'. Our brains don't function the same way as adults. My friends run after their 'cool' peers and mimic them in every possible way. They adopt a new trend without pondering over its functionality. The kind of exposure we get today has enabled us to do anything. Parents, teachers and the government may protect us from the wrongdoers, but who will protect us from ourselves?
Everyday i wake up to see a new dawn. I wake up with the sound of laughs of my loving family. I go to school full of positive energy. I see an efficient government supporting my every move. i am happily alive today. As long as there exist efficient and positive people around me, i feel safe. I would conclude by stating:
The policy of being too cautious is the greatest risk of all.
Jawaharlal Nehru

Rate this:
Comment by Taylor

policy always be boring whereas life is nice
Posted: Saturday, November 5, 2011 10:22:08 AM
Rate this:
Comment by nikitasaha12

sorry, i didn't follow.
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2011 11:20:06 AM
Rate this:
Comment by Justina

I admire your strength and sense of optimism (especially at the end of the essay). You articulated your thoughts well and it was a joy to read. Keep writing!
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 11:51:27 PM
Rate this:
Comment by nikitasaha12

oh thanks a lot!!
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:25:11 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy