Marriage: The Adhesive That Loses Stickiness

Akimbo
A hand to hold and lead me. A person to sit beside me at the theaters and put his arm around me during church. The superman who holds me when the whole world is collapsing.

All I really want is companionship. Life is about making connections. I have stood crammed in a subway multiple times a day and despite all of the people in one tiny car, I would suggest that "No talking" signs are plastered on the walls.

It is so hard to become truly connected to someone despite all of the new technologies being invented. I don't want a watered down conversation or perpetual small talk. I want someone who really knows me--inside and out. Someone who can take me at face value and wants to spend the rest of his life with me. When I find that, then, I will say "I do."

Although young, I have seen many people walk down the aisle. I love hearing engagement stories and the idea of finding "that" person. It's like having an unlimited pass. I will always have a date, someone to come home to, eat meals with, and talk to.

Cohabitation is not for me. Commitment. When you love someone to a certain point, you should want to spend the rest of your life with them. Well, today, putting on the ring, writing your vows, and swiping your v card are no indications that the same man you devoted your whole life to, in sickness and in health, will be pushing you on the swing set at 75. That scares me.

Voltaire said, "Lord, Protect me from my friends; I can take care of my enemies," meaning that when someone knows another person so well, he discovers all of their flaws and weaknesses and therefore you remain completely vulnerable to that being. Marriage is important and it is a great thing, but love is hard. It is not as easy as buying chocolates or going on a weekend getaway.

In my life, I want to love someone. The greatest gift is love. I hear about marriages having a falling out or becoming too hard to handle and it scares me that today we are not ready for the journey; we have packed lightly and have developed blurry vision.

Marriage is the act of two people becoming one. Your identity changes along with your address. Marriage should be the heart of every nation because it starts with love and continues as two people make the next generation and pass on that love. But love is tossed around like "going green" and it becomes a fad causing the meaning to be buried. Though we like being around other people, we are mostly into ourselves.
Comment by bugcandy

I wanted to let you know that your essay for our February writing contest about marriage was one of the finalists. Megan, our PR Coordinator, will be in touch with you (if she hasn't already) via email.

We'll be announcing the winner later today or tomorrow. I personally look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com.

Thanks for sharing your point of view with us!

Yours,

Eric
Presient & CEO, StageofLife.com

P.s. Did you enter the current student writing contest?
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:54:17 PM
Comment by Guest

Posts: 2,760
Shiver me tmbiers, them's some great information.
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:51:52 AM