Unsung Hero: A lesson to remember... Forever

pd98211
Among all the lessons I have learnt in my 19 years on this green planet, it is hardly surprising that the most important of them was taught by a teacher. Today, I want to share this lesson with you and hope that it helps you in your life.

So this is my story. One fine day, while sitting idle in the class, Mam handed me a few notebooks which were to be distributed among the seventh grade students. I went. But my brain stayed back in the class, still idle. As a result, the notebooks ended up in the eighth grade. I came back, oblivious. Then came the thunderbolt. Mam asked me where did I deliver the notebooks as the notebooks had not reached the students. I panicked and promised to get her notebooks back as soon as possible. She was angry. I was scared. But still I hoped that the students would have realized the mistake and kept the notebooks safe. Alas, that was not to be. I had not counted on the possibility of them using their own brains to find the real owners. So I was lost. And so were the students who had apparently used their brains. I couldn't find them. I couldn't find the notebooks. I dreaded facing Mam without the notebooks. I missed my classes, did everything I could, but to no avail. Finally, I gave up, went back to the class and hoped for a miracle. And it happened. The guys who had used their brains had finally discovered that the notebooks belonged to Mam and promptly returned them to her. She came and informed me with her stern gaze which told me she was disappointed. I know you are searching for the lesson. But wait, its not over yet.

The next day, I came to the school, the memories of yesterday sill raw. To be given a task and to fail at it is bad. But disappointment is way worse. She came to class and taught as usual. Then she gave us a small break and started doing some of her own work. What happened next still inspires me. She called me. And she handed me another set of notebooks and said, " Get it right this time." And I didn't know what to say. God knows how many times I must have cross-checked the grade written in the notebooks to the one above the class. And I did get it right. And I felt so happy. Instead of demotivating me, she gave me a second chance. Since that day, I have never ever jumped to judge anyone on their first attempt. I learnt it from her. I have learnt to give people a second chance because people will get it done if you believe in them. Just like I did.

Thanks Mam for teaching me something I will never forget and you might not know but you are my hero.