STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Unsung Hero: A lesson to remember... Forever

pd98211
Among all the lessons I have learnt in my 19 years on this green planet, it is hardly surprising that the most important of them was taught by a teacher. Today, I want to share this lesson with you and hope that it helps you in your life.

So this is my story. One fine day, while sitting idle in the class, Mam handed me a few notebooks which were to be distributed among the seventh grade students. I went. But my brain stayed back in the class, still idle. As a result, the notebooks ended up in the eighth grade. I came back, oblivious. Then came the thunderbolt. Mam asked me where did I deliver the notebooks as the notebooks had not reached the students. I panicked and promised to get her notebooks back as soon as possible. She was angry. I was scared. But still I hoped that the students would have realized the mistake and kept the notebooks safe. Alas, that was not to be. I had not counted on the possibility of them using their own brains to find the real owners. So I was lost. And so were the students who had apparently used their brains. I couldn't find them. I couldn't find the notebooks. I dreaded facing Mam without the notebooks. I missed my classes, did everything I could, but to no avail. Finally, I gave up, went back to the class and hoped for a miracle. And it happened. The guys who had used their brains had finally discovered that the notebooks belonged to Mam and promptly returned them to her. She came and informed me with her stern gaze which told me she was disappointed. I know you are searching for the lesson. But wait, its not over yet.

The next day, I came to the school, the memories of yesterday sill raw. To be given a task and to fail at it is bad. But disappointment is way worse. She came to class and taught as usual. Then she gave us a small break and started doing some of her own work. What happened next still inspires me. She called me. And she handed me another set of notebooks and said, " Get it right this time." And I didn't know what to say. God knows how many times I must have cross-checked the grade written in the notebooks to the one above the class. And I did get it right. And I felt so happy. Instead of demotivating me, she gave me a second chance. Since that day, I have never ever jumped to judge anyone on their first attempt. I learnt it from her. I have learnt to give people a second chance because people will get it done if you believe in them. Just like I did.

Thanks Mam for teaching me something I will never forget and you might not know but you are my hero.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy