Person to Watch in 2012: President Hugo Chavez

carolina.wong
The person to look for in 2012 is the president of Venezuela, Hugo Chavez. Although Chavez has brought a lot of suffering to the Venezuelan population, he has brought a lot of suffering to the Venezuelan population to be aware of what is going on politically and economically in the country. However, many mockeries and disrespectful remarks towards the population have brought his popularity rate spiraling down. As I spent most of my adolescence in Venezuela, I became more aware of how one person could change or destroy the lives of so many.
About a week ago, the Consulate of Venezuela in Miami was sentenced out of the country due to a documentary made by a national Spanish-American television channel named Univision. In the documentary, there was a video of the Consulate making a deal with Mexican pirates that planned to hack information from the White House, FBI, and other important government information. As in the past, Venezuela has been known to be allies with Iran; National Security started an investigation shortly after the documentary was aired. President Hugo Chavez’s response was insulting not only to the United States’ government but also to the citizens and denied these allegations against the Consulate.
During the year 2012, Hugo Chavez will be running for presidency, hoping to get re-elected. As Chavez has said during his presidency, he would help the poor by taking away from the wealthy. Many wealthy natives have left the country, leaving him with his followers and the poor people that can’t afford to leave the country.
This year alone, Hugo Chavez has had about six assemblies. The most interesting thing to see is how he just rambles about what most people, including myself, consider non-sense. As he does not have a college degree, his debates are not well planned. The other candidates for presidency are well educated and graduated from well-known universities, such as Yale and Harvard. Chavez avoids every debate or interaction the candidates propose to him.
Last year, president Hugo Chavez was diagnosed with a serious cancer. Chavez was taken to Cuba for treatment. Many people in Venezuela debate if this is a real sickness or if it was a publicity stunt to gain more popularity or pity on the President’s condition. Following how he may or may not use his condition during his campaign should be interesting.
Another interesting thing to watch for during the presidential election in this country is whether it is an honest election and if the government will cheat by registering deceased people, which they have done in the past. The country of Venezuela is ready for a new president. That will lead them to a better future for the next generation and that will not only say he/she is going to make a change, but actually take action.