Person to Watch in 2012: Patrick Connaughton

kevinmv069
Voted Massachusetts’s most impressive and upcoming athlete in 2011, as making a cover appearance on ESPN Rise’s magazine is just two of many reasons why this person needs to be watched in the New Year. Pat not only accomplished magazine covers and awards but set records on the basketball court as well as the baseball diamond during our high school years together. His love for the two sports ultimately helped achieve his great success, due to a slight decrease in his overall natural ability as an athlete. Perseverance, determination, and hard work brought Pat to the next big level. Arguably one of the best athletes to come from Saint John’s Preparatory School; the University of Notre Dame gave Pat a full scholarship to play both baseball and basketball in hopes of creating a better program around the schools newfound talent. At the end of 2011, he made his decision to accept the scholarship and play with the fighting Irish. The scholarship that Pat received speaks volumes about his ability as an athlete.
Patrick’s success started immediately once he came to high school through football, basketball, and baseball. There was no question that he was a top end athlete, but people were curious as to how far he would actually make it. He constantly trained for everything he did as well as put hours every day into lifting weights and becoming bigger, faster, and stronger. This was ultimately Pat’s key to success in his achievements as an athlete. This all seemed to show during our sophomore year of high school when he decided to give up playing football and focus on the other two sports. In just a quick fall season that Pat spent playing basketball, he was elected varsity captain for both the baseball and basketball team. This amazing feat was the pad used to launch a Division 1 athlete’s career. With schools like UCLA, North Carolina at Chapel Hill and many other top Division 1 schools, Pat buckled down and got to work
His love for the sports he plays and the hard work he puts into his career are not reasons to watch him. There are other athletes at his level who have these qualities and might possibly be better. His achievements are merely factual in his success with where it has gotten him. The real reason Patrick Connaughton should be the person you watch in 2012 is because of the rate that his talent is accelerating, and the excitement that he brings to every game. With making it to Notre Dame, he has become the record holder of a freshman to average the most points per game in a single season in Notre Dame’s history. He has been drafted by the San Diego Padres to also applaud his baseball skill as a pitcher. He will most likely become a professional athlete and truly is the person that you need to say you watched in 2012