Person to Watch in 2012: Veronica Blanch

kpocovi
The person to watch over 2012 is Veronica Blanch, my mother. Although she always knew how to fight hard circumstances due to her childhood in a poor Argentine neighborhood, 2011 was devastating to her in many ways.

Last year started for my family as any regular new years eve. Unfortunately this abruptly changed after personal issues drove my parents to split and face divorce. This event was obviously impacting to my family since my parents were married for over 20 years. My father Marcelo never had been a family man so Veronica did a tremendous effort since the day my siblings and I were born for us not to feel abandoned. Whenever one of us had a problem or concern, she was always there to help and back us up. Every time I had a soccer match or a school concert, she would be there by herself cheering and showing how proud she was of us. Broken apart by the separation, my mom’s mind was disrupted and fell into depression.

This event is not what made 2011 a terrible year for her since she had previously been through potential divorces. Only a couple of months after this, Veronica’s mom passed away leaving an emptiness feeling even greater than the one she had. Given that her father abandoned her and the rest of her family at a very young age, her mother fought resourceless to keep food on the table until Veronica grew up and moved out. This created bonds between them even stronger than the ones of most regular families.

Left by both her husband Marcelo and her recently deceased mom, Veronica’s sadness drove her to start taking medications to fight her depression. When everything started going back to normal, my time to leave Argentina came and I headed to the U.S.A for college. My departure from home wasn’t easy for Veronica since I was the first of her children to ever move out to another country. Because I was her oldest child living home with her at the time, I was who motivated her the most to fight her problems and start a new life. The rest of my siblings were too young to understand the situation as a whole and therefore couldn’t support her the way I did.

In December I went back to Argentina to visit my family and something I wasn’t expecting had happened. My mother had not only found her way out of depression and medication but also even opened her own clothing business, which was very successful. A side of Veronica I had never seen was unveiled and completely got me by surprise. Her enthusiasm could be noticed by just looking at her. That’s when I learned a valuable lesson that I’ll never forget; we humans feel the impulse to fight for what we want when we have nothing else to lose, and sometimes a downfall is exactly what we need to react and strive to accomplish our goals.

A person to watch over 2012 is Veronica Blanch. The unexpected events of such a tragic year of her life did not held her back from being a happy and successful woman. It is fundamental to watch over the development of her new life due to her astonishing accomplishments in a very short time period and under particular circumstances. Her passion towards the clothing industry along with her burning desire to thrive is what makes this individual worth watching not only over 2012, but for a long time to come.