Person to Watch in 2012: Michael Phelps

rugbydemon

2012 watch list

The person to follow intensely in 2012 is Michael Phelps. Mr. Phelps returns to the pool after a four year gap between the Olympics. The king of the pool captured eight gold medals in the 2008 Beijing Olympics in china, in doing this he captured the pride of America as he stood out and showed the rest of the world the dominate character and the type of athlete the united states produces. In a recent interview with ESPN, Mr. Phelps has stated that he was happy with his performance but not completely satisfied. His training for the 2012 Olympics in London he said to have pushed his body farther than ever before. He is expects bigger and better things from himself as he pushes harder and expects the same from his opponents.
After his fall from grace after Mr. Phelps was photographed smoking marijuana at the university of North Carolina Chapel Hill, it seemed that the public lost interest and formed a sense of disgust for him as their trust in him as a role model had be betrayed to parents for allowing their children to look up to him. Mr. Phelps then spent the better part of the year apologizing for his actions by calling a press confrenece and going to special events to help raise awareness of the dangers of drugs and there uses. When questioned about the situations Mr. Phelps apologized and said he regretted his decision. He also stated that he will continue to make amends for his mistake and that he focus in now entirely on the 2012 Olympics.
With the Olympics in London this year, Mr. Phelps has prepared himself mentally and physically like never before. He has ramped up his training increasing the number of hours he is in the pool by two from eight to ten. He says that the reason for the increase was there were some races that were to close for his comfort and that by pushing himself he can get stronger and faster and be able to defend himself and his events and records. Mr. Phelps did state he didn’t believe that he would win another eight medals but he said he does plan on. His opponent in his eighth metal seemed to have thrown a fit, believing that he was first in the race that he was only an tenth of a second behind Mr. Phelps. As of this controversy Mr. Phelps has increased his weight lifting and started moving into more plyometric for greater flexibility to ensure that he is in top tier condition for these Olympics.
As time goes on people have forgiven Mr. Phelps for the pot smoking incident and I believe that he can once again capture the spirit of America in his return to the pool. If no one paid attention to swimming in 2008 they defiantly will this year. That is why I believe Michael Phelps in the person of interest to watch in 2012.

Word Count: 500