Person to Watch in 2012: The Man [or Woman] in the Mirror

amanda.tucker
The person who needs to be on our radars the most in 2012 is ourselves. Sure, politics and fashion and film and literature are all important aspects to life. But honestly, we are the most influential person in our lives, and we are often the person to whom we pay the least attention.

The easiest way to prove that we need to give ourselves more attention is by the simple question of, “Who am I?” It’s a sad revelation when we realize that it’s easier for us to tell someone else who Kim Kardashian or William and Kate are than it is for us to tell someone who WE are. If someone were to ask us about our top three accomplishments of 2011, we would likely hesitate to answer. However, if that same person asked about milestones or important moments in 2011 for Miley Cyrus or Justin Beiber, we could easily list a handful.

Everything I did last year puts me on the radar this year. Just like everything you did last year does for you. Every morning we wake up, we impact our lives more than anyone else can. Every decision we make is more influential than what dress Taylor Swift wore to an awards show. But somehow, we’ve become more concerned with other people than ourselves. This external concern would be well-rooted if it were designated to the hungry man next door, or the old man whose family never visits. But it’s not. We’re concerned with what’s “in” and who’s “hot this year”. Does it matter? No.

I make myself laugh. I do great things. I am special because I am me. I am important because there is no other me. The same is true for you; for each of you. The possibilities for me and the possibilities for you are endless. Our individual potential is what we need to focus on, not the implications of a seventy-two day marriage of someone we don’t know. It might sound like I’m caught up in media since I’m throwing out all of these references, but I’ll be honest and admit that the references I’ve made are about as far as my knowledge goes in those subjects. It’s just never interested me that much because I know it doesn’t affect my life.

College has made me more aware of others’ fixations on things that are completely irrelevant to their lives. I would put money down that more people my age watched the Royal Wedding than went out and voted in November. People are more caught up in premiers and awards than they are in their own lives. Instead of doing things to pave the way to our own greatness, we hang on to each moment of some celebrities successes or failures, like they’re somehow more important than our own.

So, on the radar for 2012, I see myself. And I see you. Now, I just hope you can see yourself.
Comment by dalinasam

couldn't have said that better myself
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:50:13 PM
Comment by Justina

I enjoyed reading your essay because of its optimistic tone. : ) What you said is very true!
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:53:23 PM
Comment by swalczyk

Well written, and insightful. Great job!
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 8:18:06 PM
Comment by riserthinking

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this essay. Thanks for writing and sharing it! I wish you the best in the contest!
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:57:43 AM
Comment by amanda.tucker

Thanks for the kind words! (:
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:59:31 AM

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Person to Watch writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

Here's the link to the contest summary page, http://www.stageoflife.com/PersontoWatch.aspx
We'll be formally announcing the winner soon.

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family as well as “Like” us on Facebook and “Follow” us on Twitter.

To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 7:41:40 PM

Amanda, once again, great writing! You have a very valid point that you have brought across in your essay. The amazing thing is that it is applicable, no matter what age we are! Every day brings about a new opportunity to look at ourselves, and it is so true that what we do today will inevitably affect 'who we are' tomorrow. Good luck!
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:25:03 AM