STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Person to Watch in 2012: The Man [or Woman] in the Mirror

amanda.tucker
The person who needs to be on our radars the most in 2012 is ourselves. Sure, politics and fashion and film and literature are all important aspects to life. But honestly, we are the most influential person in our lives, and we are often the person to whom we pay the least attention.

The easiest way to prove that we need to give ourselves more attention is by the simple question of, “Who am I?” It’s a sad revelation when we realize that it’s easier for us to tell someone else who Kim Kardashian or William and Kate are than it is for us to tell someone who WE are. If someone were to ask us about our top three accomplishments of 2011, we would likely hesitate to answer. However, if that same person asked about milestones or important moments in 2011 for Miley Cyrus or Justin Beiber, we could easily list a handful.

Everything I did last year puts me on the radar this year. Just like everything you did last year does for you. Every morning we wake up, we impact our lives more than anyone else can. Every decision we make is more influential than what dress Taylor Swift wore to an awards show. But somehow, we’ve become more concerned with other people than ourselves. This external concern would be well-rooted if it were designated to the hungry man next door, or the old man whose family never visits. But it’s not. We’re concerned with what’s “in” and who’s “hot this year”. Does it matter? No.

I make myself laugh. I do great things. I am special because I am me. I am important because there is no other me. The same is true for you; for each of you. The possibilities for me and the possibilities for you are endless. Our individual potential is what we need to focus on, not the implications of a seventy-two day marriage of someone we don’t know. It might sound like I’m caught up in media since I’m throwing out all of these references, but I’ll be honest and admit that the references I’ve made are about as far as my knowledge goes in those subjects. It’s just never interested me that much because I know it doesn’t affect my life.

College has made me more aware of others’ fixations on things that are completely irrelevant to their lives. I would put money down that more people my age watched the Royal Wedding than went out and voted in November. People are more caught up in premiers and awards than they are in their own lives. Instead of doing things to pave the way to our own greatness, we hang on to each moment of some celebrities successes or failures, like they’re somehow more important than our own.

So, on the radar for 2012, I see myself. And I see you. Now, I just hope you can see yourself.
Rate this:
Comment by dalinasam

couldn't have said that better myself
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:50:13 PM
Rate this:
Comment by Justina

I enjoyed reading your essay because of its optimistic tone. : ) What you said is very true!
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:53:23 PM
Rate this:
Comment by swalczyk

Well written, and insightful. Great job!
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 8:18:06 PM
Rate this:
Comment by riserthinking

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this essay. Thanks for writing and sharing it! I wish you the best in the contest!
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:57:43 AM
Rate this:
Comment by amanda.tucker

Thanks for the kind words! (:
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:59:31 AM
Rate this:
Comment by mcoly618

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Person to Watch writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

Here's the link to the contest summary page, http://www.stageoflife.com/PersontoWatch.aspx
We'll be formally announcing the winner soon.

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family as well as “Like” us on Facebook and “Follow” us on Twitter.

To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Congrats again. We look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com. Thanks for helping us in our mission of creating the world's largest pool of cross-generational stories.
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 7:41:40 PM
Rate this:
Comment by DarkStar49

Amanda, once again, great writing! You have a very valid point that you have brought across in your essay. The amazing thing is that it is applicable, no matter what age we are! Every day brings about a new opportunity to look at ourselves, and it is so true that what we do today will inevitably affect 'who we are' tomorrow. Good luck!
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:25:03 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy