STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Hero is Sir Terry Pratchett

Fe26
No, that’s wrong. My heroes are his creations. Those who are consistently there for me, those who never change their story, their opinion, their view of me. These characters know me and I know them. They are real to me, no matter how absurd the story may seem to you. Real heroes are dangerous, as a child I learned that. Being as fickle as most my hero changed from day to day, from athlete to singer to once again another person who didn’t need nor deserve my praise. Real people change, from somebody you adore to someone you loathe. When you give them your faith, your trust, sometimes people change. That musician who started his band out of a love for music ends up ditching them for better players. I’ve always figured if someone is worthy of being a hero, then they will be. They don’t need my attention and I don’t want to feed their egotism. I watch them from afar, and once again return to the amazing world of the disc.

If you’ve ever noticed another irksome thing real people do is this, they tend to die. When that happens what are you left with? Those who say they live on in your soul, in your actions, are naïve. When you start to forget the sound of their voice, the look of their face, and what they truly believe in they are gone. No amount of wishful thinking is going to bring them back. That’s why I love these characters, they aren’t going anywhere. They teach me and with all these characters one never grows bored.

I’m sure I would have gotten along well with Sir Terry, he speaks just like me, Cynically, sarcastically, and humourously. I’ve loved these books to the point in which I distinctly remember walking into poles and buildings while reading them. Thinking back on this now its Terry not the characters in the books I admire. He’s the one who put it all together, he’s the one who’s captured my heart, and helps me through hard times. And can you believe this? As long as I have these books he will never die to me. He’s my living, breathing Rincewind, my Death, my Mort, my Twoflower, and my Ridcully. Your hero doesn’t have to be somebody famous, somebody smart, life changing, athletic, or even important. As long as that person means something to you, as long as they changed your life for the better, as long as you admire and love them, then they deserve the title of hero.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy