My Hero is Sir Terry Pratchett

Fe26
No, that’s wrong. My heroes are his creations. Those who are consistently there for me, those who never change their story, their opinion, their view of me. These characters know me and I know them. They are real to me, no matter how absurd the story may seem to you. Real heroes are dangerous, as a child I learned that. Being as fickle as most my hero changed from day to day, from athlete to singer to once again another person who didn’t need nor deserve my praise. Real people change, from somebody you adore to someone you loathe. When you give them your faith, your trust, sometimes people change. That musician who started his band out of a love for music ends up ditching them for better players. I’ve always figured if someone is worthy of being a hero, then they will be. They don’t need my attention and I don’t want to feed their egotism. I watch them from afar, and once again return to the amazing world of the disc.

If you’ve ever noticed another irksome thing real people do is this, they tend to die. When that happens what are you left with? Those who say they live on in your soul, in your actions, are naïve. When you start to forget the sound of their voice, the look of their face, and what they truly believe in they are gone. No amount of wishful thinking is going to bring them back. That’s why I love these characters, they aren’t going anywhere. They teach me and with all these characters one never grows bored.

I’m sure I would have gotten along well with Sir Terry, he speaks just like me, Cynically, sarcastically, and humourously. I’ve loved these books to the point in which I distinctly remember walking into poles and buildings while reading them. Thinking back on this now its Terry not the characters in the books I admire. He’s the one who put it all together, he’s the one who’s captured my heart, and helps me through hard times. And can you believe this? As long as I have these books he will never die to me. He’s my living, breathing Rincewind, my Death, my Mort, my Twoflower, and my Ridcully. Your hero doesn’t have to be somebody famous, somebody smart, life changing, athletic, or even important. As long as that person means something to you, as long as they changed your life for the better, as long as you admire and love them, then they deserve the title of hero.