STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Summer Reinvention: Going Home, Giving Back

Chocolatebunny
A week left in school and my teacher’s lectures smoothout into one big monotone. I’m not one to drift off during a school day but as summer approaches the green grass and blue sky out the window seems to impatiently whisper to me. Today I rest my chin on my knuckles and think of Sri Lanka. My whole family, being immigrants, used to visit Sri Lanka every summer. But then me and my sister's private school tuition got in the way and before we knew it, it had been five years since we took a plane half-way around the world. It’s been five years with no cousins to play with and no grandparents to visit on the weekends. I missed the weather that managed to be cheery even in the heavy downpour of the monsoon season. This time, flying to our tear-shaped island is going to be more than a vacation. My feet start to swing under the table as I think of how I’m going to make a difference this summer. I’m volunteering by teaching English in a poverty stricken area. It may be a tiny, miniscule change in relation to the larger world, but a change nonetheless. I recall my conversation with my English teacher about my hopes for this summer and him persuading me to find an article about the city I’m going to. My mind grounded itself as my teacher started talking about finals. Later that day I found myself with a free period at hand, so I loaded my laptop and searched, “Sri Lankan Civil War, Jaffna”. My search received several relevant articles about the affects of the civil war on Jaffna. I scrolled through an article.Phrases jump out at me like flying fish, sharp teeth and scales cutting to the bone. CHERRY RED SKULL SIGNS, LIKE LOLLIPOS, STUCK OUT OF THE ARID FIELDS, KNEW ALL TO WELL, RIFE WITH UNEXPLODED MINES. I kept scrolling down the page, and came across the familiar explanation for our 26 year war. “Whereas the Sinhalese majority is predominantly BUDDHIST, the Tamil minority is largely HINDU” I pondered, not for the first time, if fighting for a whole country instead of splitting in half was worth all the blood and death that followed. “70,000 and 100,000 people died in this TEAR-SHAPED ISLAND”. I realized that none of them were my close or even fairly distant family members. But I figured that almost every Tamil family has a story of loss and the trailing grief. I exited the browser, closed my laptop, and ruminated about what I had read. I bowed my head and silently vowed that I would learn something this summer, that I’d somehow add a deeper level of understanding about the world as I interacted with my temporary students. A river of possible knowledge and experiences exist in the days to come.I just have wade in the water with my mind wide open.
Rate this:
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations, your essay has been chosen as a runner-up for the June Summer Reinvention contest.

Here is a link to the summary page: http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandSummer.aspx

We are looking forward to your future submissions!
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 8:00:02 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy