STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Letter to Mom: She Painted the House With Music

cellobanana
Dear Mom,
Sometimes, I enjoy closing my eyes and simply listening to your sighs and the occasional sizzle of the pan as crisp shallots meander their way into the crackling pool of oil. The little noises in life; even the soft clucking of your tongue as you write checks to the bank, are songs to me. Some people think that I'm crazy, but what these people don't understand is that the obsession with music derives entirely from your six o'clock cello lessons.
It's definitely not the colors of the peeling wall and blinding sunlight that wake me up. It's the tender Chopin's Sonata and the sound of your bow gliding down the cello strings that gets me out of bed. We aren’t able to afford tickets to those fancy concerts, but I have the luxury of bathing in your sweet music every single morning. There is something about your music that sets you apart from everyone else; maybe it’s because you love it so much, but it might also have something to do with your movements. Your arm movements range from smooth to rough, as if the notes scattered on the page were words in a storybook.
In our household, we don't speak English. We don't speak Chinese either. Instead, we speak the language of music. Even the food on our table somehow relates to flavor and compositions, and gradually through your daily lectures and recitals, you taught me that "life itself is a composer's piece; sometimes it changes key, everyone has a different tempo, and if you don't caress the notes and play them carefully, you'll sound like a squawking crow."
You came to America all alone and, from the coins jingling in the pockets of your worn-out jeans, managed to pull an 800 square foot, one story grey-washed condo wedged between two mansions. We don't have a shiny black Porsche and we don't prepare lavish meals laced with exotic spices for supper. However, through endless years of callused fingers sprinting across cello strings,
You’ve brought me to realize
that we don't live in a condo. And our house really isn't gray at all.
The walls are coated with streaks of color from Brahms's Sonata in e minor, and the food is seasoned with Shostakovich's zesty chords.
Without the family noticing, you've framed the walls with love for cello, and secretly planted seeds of musical knowledge in our minds.
Although it took years of tear-streaked cheeks and furrowed brows,
I finally understand why you spent so much time playing cello and teaching it to me.
We are mediocre; very mediocre, in a sense that we all don't own extraordinary items and that we all aren't extraordinary people.
But embedded in your passion for music and your unwavering heart,
You possess one extraordinary talent.
This house is not of any value in terms of sight. However, in terms of sounds and music,
You’ve painted this house into a palace.
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

Wow. I cried when I read this essay. I am so impressed with your writing voice, the beauty of your story, and your wisdom. Thank you for inspiring me with the letter to your amazing mom - the music in your life.

Posted: Sunday, July 7, 2013 11:54:03 PM
Rate this:
Comment by maurabeaver

Congratulations! You’ve been selected 1st place winner for the May writing contest: "Letter to Mom"

Check out the full report here: http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandMoms.aspx

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting, and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2013 5:35:30 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy