STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

In the News: Stopping One Problem May Help Prevent the Next

Julie
How many girls want to look like bathing suit models? How many boys want to be fully flexed 6’4 bad boys. Well a lot of teens girls are becoming emaciated, due to the extraordinary emphasis on thinness we praise in society. This all being announced, there seems but little hope for the changes in magazine covers. But there may be some hope.
H&M was reportedly praised for their plus-sized model showcasing the seasons swimwear. Earlier in Britain, some stores were making their manikins larger than a size 2. Is skinnygirl emphasis coming to an end? Perhaps not all the way. Later in the news we hear of a celebrity accused of being too fat for her 6’2 frame.
Out of all the issues going in the world, you could say that changing the way teens think about themselves is not an issue on the highest point of the scale. But I believe detaching the synopsis of skinny-girl to teen-girl, could actually be the start of an issue much bigger. Human sex trafficking. Human trafficking enslaves millions of people worldwide. Staggering statistics tell that 75% of those enslave are women, 50% are children. Human trafficking is the fastest growing crime in the world second only to drugs.
This issue of human sex trafficking is worldwide, that means including the USA. The number one hub of human trafficking and child exploitation in the US in Atlanta, Georgia. Georgia is where my dad works. I believe that stopping the emphasis of the beautiful teenage girl could stop some men to want the urge for sex. Hence not visiting illegal sex hubs and violating young women. We as a nation and a country should teach the value of women, for that other than sexual reasons. Do not we not see many advertisements of young women, if a girl we strive to look them; if a man we lust over them. This cycle of thinking of women purely for their attractive appearance, is not a way to contribute to the ever growing problem. Stopping human trafficking especially human sex trafficking, will be no easy movement. But this is modern day slavery and it must be stopped. If you are not fully aware of this issue please, please read the links I listed below for information and ways you can help. These are just a few websites, among many others. I can also send you a pamphlet if you contact me at [email protected]

http://www.doctorsatwar.org/

http://streetlightusa.org/

http://www.innocenceatlanta.org/

http://www.somaly.org/

http://www.youth-spark.org/learn/our-programs/programs-to-stop-child-sex-trafficking/a-future-not-a-past/

Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy