In the News: Stopping One Problem May Help Prevent the Next

Julie
How many girls want to look like bathing suit models? How many boys want to be fully flexed 6’4 bad boys. Well a lot of teens girls are becoming emaciated, due to the extraordinary emphasis on thinness we praise in society. This all being announced, there seems but little hope for the changes in magazine covers. But there may be some hope.
H&M was reportedly praised for their plus-sized model showcasing the seasons swimwear. Earlier in Britain, some stores were making their manikins larger than a size 2. Is skinnygirl emphasis coming to an end? Perhaps not all the way. Later in the news we hear of a celebrity accused of being too fat for her 6’2 frame.
Out of all the issues going in the world, you could say that changing the way teens think about themselves is not an issue on the highest point of the scale. But I believe detaching the synopsis of skinny-girl to teen-girl, could actually be the start of an issue much bigger. Human sex trafficking. Human trafficking enslaves millions of people worldwide. Staggering statistics tell that 75% of those enslave are women, 50% are children. Human trafficking is the fastest growing crime in the world second only to drugs.
This issue of human sex trafficking is worldwide, that means including the USA. The number one hub of human trafficking and child exploitation in the US in Atlanta, Georgia. Georgia is where my dad works. I believe that stopping the emphasis of the beautiful teenage girl could stop some men to want the urge for sex. Hence not visiting illegal sex hubs and violating young women. We as a nation and a country should teach the value of women, for that other than sexual reasons. Do not we not see many advertisements of young women, if a girl we strive to look them; if a man we lust over them. This cycle of thinking of women purely for their attractive appearance, is not a way to contribute to the ever growing problem. Stopping human trafficking especially human sex trafficking, will be no easy movement. But this is modern day slavery and it must be stopped. If you are not fully aware of this issue please, please read the links I listed below for information and ways you can help. These are just a few websites, among many others. I can also send you a pamphlet if you contact me at [email protected]

http://www.doctorsatwar.org/

http://streetlightusa.org/

http://www.innocenceatlanta.org/

http://www.somaly.org/

http://www.youth-spark.org/learn/our-programs/programs-to-stop-child-sex-trafficking/a-future-not-a-past/