In The News: North Korea's threats with no basis of evidence

adeliemelon
As North Korea increases its hostility, a fog of uneasiness has been spreading throughout the United States. Throughout the years, Americans have been charged for illegal entry and sentenced to excessive years of labor. They’ve arrested tourists and journalists for alleged illegal entry and “hostile acts.” It took no less than former presidents to coax North Korea into letting go of their hostages.
It’s this air of mystery that is so intimidating. No one knows the real conditions in North Korea. They may or may not have nuclear weapons. They may have a few, they may have an arsenal. They may be bluffing, or they may be serious. They may be a threat. They may not be. No one knows. So are we going to hope for the best or prepare for the worst?
Nobody knows how to react. We have no idea what we’re up against. Until they give us concrete proof that they are actually a threat, I'm afraid that our government is not going to take action. However, the North Koreans may just be biding their time and waiting to spring their trap.
The bigger issue is that even when North Korea is established as a danger to the U.S., we still won't take action. This is the Achilles Heel of a democracy. We will debate and advocate and decide, but more often than not, it boils down to nothing; the best they could resolve for was a stalemate.
Worse comes to worst, we could always adopt a cynical point of view. However many nuclear weapons North Korea has, the United States has much more, maybe even exponentially more. The United Nations is against North Korea and will not support it. Their country is dying; their people are starving and suffering. In this brief war we may or may not have with North Korea, no matter the losses and casualties, we will come out on top. America always does, doesn't it?