In the News: Marriage is becoming closer to being the right it always should have been

nereen
In this day and age, with any couple in love and looking to legitimately build or raise a family with just themselves or an addition of kids, marriage can not be a disputed case as for who can have one and who can not; it is a societal right and not a religious privilege. This is why the U.S. Supreme Court has begun to listen to arguments in cases involving gay marriage, because our country has finally transitioned into the realization that to not give so many Americans the right to marry the person of their choosing is very wrong.
This is a controversial topic of discussion that every teenager should be aware of at the moment because I think that at some point soon in our near futures, it will be something that all of us will be being exposed to whether we want to or not because of its increase in demand and augmentation of acceptance. I believe, or I hope at least, that by the time we all reach adulthood, gay marriage will be as socially acceptable as matrimony between biracial couples.
As this becomes more accepted, then I think it begins the slope of more general tolerance of other alternative lifestyles as well, which I'm sure many of the youth of today will end up living by as tomorrow comes around. And if a majority of our young adult population can feel comfortable and un-judged in a contemporary atmosphere like most of our country is becoming, then we will all end up significantly happier than our inadvertently oppressed predecessors.
The legalization of gay marriage has no real repercussions; the only ones who object do so because of religious matters that should ultimately not be involved in our government's decisions. The benefits far exceed these trivial complaints; couples will be able to legally be held responsible for their significant other and they will have the opportunity to start a genuine family. There are about 9 million gay Americans according to a scholar at the UCLA School of Law's Williams Institute. Just imagine how many more children could be adopted and cared for if all of those people were allowed to legally marry and take a child in ! It is not just an idea that sounds nice on paper; people desperately want this, about 18,000 gay couples were married in California during the short time it was legal.
At this point in time, marriage is not necessary to claim one's love for another, we are past that and our generation is well aware of that fact. But when it is denied, it becomes so much more: a chance at national equality. And why wouldn't everyone that is now stuck in this society want that right for their friends, family, and equals ?