In the News: Gun Control

Mjmts
The topic of gun control always seemed peculiar to me in the way it seemed to constantly dart on the periphery of American political discussion, and flair up for a brief moment after shootings, such as the recent tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary on December 14th, before quickly fading away from the focus of the public’s eye. As a result, it never seemed to end up being at the forefront of the nation’s thoughts for long, and I always felt the need to actively search for information and recent developments. However, even with a long history of shootings in America which have included Virginia Tech, Tuscon, and Aurora, there still does not seem to be any further progress in the discussion over gun control. All discussions seem to stalemate between the radical opinions of gun control advocates and opponents, the former heralding the need to ban all guns, and the latter proclaiming the necessity of guns for safety. Yet, somewhere in the mix, the moderate outlooks are somehow buried under all the rhetoric, and important parts to the gun control debate are mentioned briefly before being swept under the rug to deal with another day.
Despite the recent attention that has been drawn back to gun control with the Newtown shootings, the Senate failed legislation to include universal background checks. Senators against the bill stated their decision was founded on logic, and would not be swayed by the passions of the moment. But gun control laws do have their place in helping prevent such wanton gun violence, and there are moderate views that should be brought to the table. For example, background checks on family members could be implemented to prevent a situation like Newtown from ever happening again, where the mother of the mentally-ill killer had owned guns. Another area for possible discussion is gun shows, which have been fairly unregulated up to now; theoretically, anyone, even criminals, could bypass regulations, and purchase these weapons. Enforcing smart gun control legislation is how we should deal with guns to help prevent future tragedies from gun violence.
However, the issue of gun control truly is important to me for the very reason of how little of the aforementioned seems to be debated, and how little action there is to push these ideas forward. If this topic is left to stagnate, the inevitable loop will continue: violence, dispersed public interest, and innocent families and communities left with the tragic aftermath.
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected a runner up for the April writing contest: "In the News"

Check out the full report here: http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandNews.aspx

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting, and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:11:03 PM