In the News: How Safe Are We?

PKCameron
Recently in Boston, two men went on a killing spree. A total of four people lost their lives and almost 200 people were injured by the Tsarnaev brothers, radical Muslim extremists from Chechnya, when they detonated two bombs near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2013. These two men changed the lives of hundreds of people both directly and indirectly; and with such ease. While one of the brothers was killed and the other was eventually taken into custody by law enforcement officials, the events of the Boston Marathon bombing left millions of Americans wondering if life in the United States is as safe as it seems.
All Americans want to feel secure and safe, and we believe that we are. We have several reasons to believe this. America has the strongest military in the world and terrorist attacks on U.S. soil are few and far between. The government has given us all the reason to feel safe. Air travel takes hours because of security screening, police are seemingly ever-present, and intelligence agencies are always monitoring for suspicious behavior. With all of this, America has become a very safe country, especially when it comes to foreign attacks. But what about domestic terrorists? How easy would it be for an American citizen, who has no criminal record, to commit an act of terrorism on his own country? The Tsarnaev brothers showed us when they bombed the Boston Marathon.
The story of the Boston Marathon bombing is important for high school and college students to know and care about because people need to know that the government cannot protect us from everything. The United States is not impervious to attack. Although the Tsarnaev brothers were caught, the government could not prevent them from bombing the Marathon or shooting police officers. The truth is people are unpredictable and even people who appear to be innocent can be unstable and do something to threaten the safety of Americans.
The good thing is the Tsarnaev brothers would not have been apprehended if it had not been for tips the government received about the identities and locations of the brothers from civilians. This is the best thing civilians can do to combat attacks made on America. If somebody had noticed that a man dropped a backpack on the ground and hastily walked away, and reported it to officials, the bombing may have been prevented. The government cannot guarantee complete safety for the American people. The people have to look out for their own safety as well.