In The News: The Topless Women of The FEMEN Movement

SorellaLark
Women have come far in the recent century. Historically, women have been oppressed and undervalued by society. By the will and work of large groups of women, the role of females has changed over the years, especially in western culture. Where a woman was once held by the will of her husband or father, her progressive thinking is now encouraged in many cultures. Consider the face of the feminist movement: an empowered woman who stands up for her rights. She is unafraid, and she takes the world by storm, shaking the roots of restrictive society and redefining her role. However, after the rise of the FEMEN movement, this is not the only image that comes to mind. Imagine crowds of bare-chested women protesting for their rights and the rights of others, with words painted on their chests and signs held high in their hands. What is this new breed of feminist? Recent news has paid increasing attention to the movement, and it is important that today’s youth—especially young women—pay attention to the fight for equality that is going on across the world.

FEMEN is a movement that began in Ukraine. Their recent protests have been inspired by the image of one woman, Amina Tyler, who wrote across her bare chest: “My body belongs to me.” FEMEN is known for their topless protests. These women take a stance on equality, oppression, abortion rights, and marriage equality, among other issues. All are increasingly important and controversial topics across the world. It is important for any active youth of society to become familiar with the social revolutions that are taking place around them. Imagine being unaware of the Civil Rights Movement if you had been alive during the time! As a teenage girl myself, I find myself captivated by the idea of the FEMEN movement. I find it scary yet empowering: a balance between vulnerability and strength. Today, young adults should know about the ways in which you can stand up for what you believe in and make a real statement. Even if you don’t agree with the ideals of FEMEN, the movement is an important example of the collected willpower of modern women, which I find empowering.

As with many movements throughout history, FEMEN is not without its criticism. Many of the women that FEMEN “fights for” actually don’t support the movement. Especially in middle astern countries, critics suggest that the FEMEN movement goes too far, or that it should focus on protesting without exploiting their own bodies. This dissent will no doubt contribute to and change the new feminist movement. No matter what, the struggle for gender equality and related issues will continue and evolve. It is important that today’s youth pay attention to breaking news that may go down in the history books. The feminist movement is one such effort. Although perhaps not the perfect example of feminist protest, FEMEN is one trending movement that today’s youth should pay attention to.
Comment by SorellaLark

Sources come from the Huffington Post and UpWorthy.com
Posted: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 4:10:22 AM
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected a runner up for the April writing contest: "In the News"

Check out the full report here: http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandNews.aspx

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting, and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:12:31 PM