In The News: Stop The Ignorant Flow

IsabellaPow
One day, your grandchildren will come to your house. They will sit down with you as you drink your black tea. They will eat chocolate chip cookies with their small, chubby hands, and spill crumbs on your floor. You will ask them of school. The older one will say, “We are learning about the Boston Marathon bombing in 2013. Our teacher told us to ask our grandparents because they will remember. Do you remember?” You will close your eyes and reply, “No. I don’t.”

Why?

Because you were too busy worrying about prom. Too busy deciding how to cut your hair. Too busy wondering if Jack liked you or Emilie. Too busy convincing your parents to buy you the newest iPhone. Too busy reading Cosmopolitan tips on how to lose 10 pounds before summer. Too busy wrapped up in your sticky web of selfish problems. There was no time to care about the new Pope, China’s government, Obama’s decisions, or gay marriage debates, because it didn’t affect you.

But it did. It does.

This is our world we live in. Everybody’s. This world belongs to every living creature that inhabits it. We, as people, and especially as teenagers, do a devastatingly poor job of taking care of it and appreciating it.

One day you are going to wish you had payed attention. Listened, participated, watched, spoken, stood up, done SOMETHING instead of stood there on the sidelines, engulfed in the reflection of yourself. One day you will wish you could go back and soak up what it was then. What it is now. One day you will wish you hadn’t missed everything that made history, present, future, wish you hadn’t missed the world changing, and people evolving.

One day you will regret being sucked so deeply into your shallow world, but it will be too late to change it. You will have no stories to tell and no memories to recall, but those easily forgettable, replaceable ones of your ignorant waste of time on this Earth.

Life is not meant to be lived for yourself. Live it for the good of mankind and the good of this Earth. Be aware of what is going on. It only happens once. You are lucky enough to be here for it, now take advantage of that luck and experience it.

Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected a runner up for the April writing contest: "In the News"

Check out the full report here: http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandNews.aspx

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting, and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:13:20 PM