In the News: North Korea’s “Threats and Warnings”

KastofLight
In the news today, topics boom with helpful information to keep people knowledgeable, but many of the students in high school remain ignorant of the news because it lacks a relevance to them. The students are focused on the here and now, as opposed to what will affect them in the long run. An international story that should peak the interests of high school students today is the recent aggressive talks North Korea has made against the United States that worry its leaders. Although the relevance of North Korea will not affect students now, students should care about the threats that have been made against their nation.
Students should care about the threats North Korea has made against the United States because it could start another war. North and South Korea never settled their conflicts in 1953; they only temporarily held conflicts off with an armistice. Currently, North Korea wants to go to war with the United States, the United Nations, and South Korea. North Korea has depicted attacks on the United States, and their leader, Kim Jung Un, has also warned the US. These threats may affect our world in terms of harming American peace. If North Korea attacks, chances are the United States will go to war to prevent more damage to the nation. Although unlikely, students near graduation or well into high school may get drafted for war. If students lack the knowledge of conflicts with North Korea, they will not know why they are going to war in the first place. Rather than ignoring the threats, students should have awareness and concern in order to act in case an imminent war occurs.
Taking threats of nuclear warfare from North Korea as a joke may prove disastrous in the future. Although North Korea is a struggling communist country with a poor economy in the eyes of many people, they still have enough funds to perform tests with dangerous, armed weapons. Americans find it highly unlikely that North Korea will have weapons that reach the mainland, but these disputes could always lead to small armed conflicts. Students may feel at ease just because the United States showed its superiority in terms of militaristic power, but that does not mean that North Korea is completely weak and cannot cause damage. Students should not only know the history of North Korea’s threats and militaristic action but also acknowledge their power as opposed to taking it lightly.
Threats, regardless of where they come from or how they are enforced, should always be taken with concern. Students should care about the recent conflicts with North Korea and the United States. The disputes may affect students by actual involvement or by opposing their peace. Being knowledgeable of an impending threat will not harm a student, but ignorance of the threats could prove deadly in the future.