STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

In the News: The US Supreme Court Debates Gay Marriage : The Debate That Never Was.

TheGirlWhuRuns
Let me start out by saying I'm straight. I'm a 14 year old girl who likes boys. Ask me to prove it and you need give me only a picture of a certain boy band or movie star and this much will become clear. And while I may understand more than many of my peers do about the depth of many controversial topics nowadays there is a certain thing I'm still confused about: the concept of "coming out." According to Urban Dictionary, the definition of the term is: "When gay men and women and bisexuals can finally accept who they are and reveal their orientation to friends and family" And I understand that. What I don't understand is why anyone has to undergo this sometimes painful, embarrassing or alienating process because none of these emotions should be associated with the way oneself feels about expressing themselves. Your sexual orientation should be something that, like a food preference, should be learned while you get to know another person well as a friend, something that they may want to know later on, but not something that would drastically influence your friendship either way. Who you love shouldn't be a label because there's no reason it should make you any different than any other person on this planet. I believe that there is a large amount of ignorance surrounding this issue due to upbringing, political/social views and significant lack of discussion. Once us teens can openly discuss this topic, and accept each other without the need for “labeling”, then perhaps our parents and leaders will follow suit. So technically yes, this is a “debate” that will be conducted in the US Supreme Court in the next few months, but what it comes down to is basic human rights. Less than 100 years ago, women were granted the right to vote. Now, another basic, constitutional right is being argued on the floor of both houses; one that shouldn’t have to be thought over in the first place.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy