In the News: The US Supreme Court Debates Gay Marriage : The Debate That Never Was.

TheGirlWhuRuns
Let me start out by saying I'm straight. I'm a 14 year old girl who likes boys. Ask me to prove it and you need give me only a picture of a certain boy band or movie star and this much will become clear. And while I may understand more than many of my peers do about the depth of many controversial topics nowadays there is a certain thing I'm still confused about: the concept of "coming out." According to Urban Dictionary, the definition of the term is: "When gay men and women and bisexuals can finally accept who they are and reveal their orientation to friends and family" And I understand that. What I don't understand is why anyone has to undergo this sometimes painful, embarrassing or alienating process because none of these emotions should be associated with the way oneself feels about expressing themselves. Your sexual orientation should be something that, like a food preference, should be learned while you get to know another person well as a friend, something that they may want to know later on, but not something that would drastically influence your friendship either way. Who you love shouldn't be a label because there's no reason it should make you any different than any other person on this planet. I believe that there is a large amount of ignorance surrounding this issue due to upbringing, political/social views and significant lack of discussion. Once us teens can openly discuss this topic, and accept each other without the need for “labeling”, then perhaps our parents and leaders will follow suit. So technically yes, this is a “debate” that will be conducted in the US Supreme Court in the next few months, but what it comes down to is basic human rights. Less than 100 years ago, women were granted the right to vote. Now, another basic, constitutional right is being argued on the floor of both houses; one that shouldn’t have to be thought over in the first place.