In the News: Anti-Bullying Tactics Prompt Young Girls to Kiss Each Other

DanielD
After a long day at school and track practice, I walk through the door and notice my parents watching Fox News. At first, everything is normal. However, I look up at the TV and see the headline traveling across the bottom: Middle School Girls Forced to Ask Classmates for 'Lesbian Kiss' During Anti-Bullying Presentation. I just stood there in bewilderment, postulating how this happened. Now, I have mixed feelings concerning relations between two of the same gender, but I stood there, awestruck, and feeling violated.
The thought of this tragic event frightens and sickens me. How was this tactic to obliterate bullying allowable? Why did the parents consent to this kind of treatment and use of their innocent children? Linden Avenue Middle School continues to advocate for the workshop, and it did not notify the parents of the class. The interviewed parents were livid with the school due to the infringement of their duties as parents. Perhaps the parents would have given approval of the workshop if they had received any type of notification, but the neglect of keeping the parents, who possess the most power, informed of the occasion worries me. The middle school ought not to run a confidential class which is questionable to any morally-run mind.
As a high school student, I have seen many types of people throughout the few years. I also believe in respecting everyone's views even if those views defy my morals. However, the exposure of a person- nevertheless, middle school pupils- to an excessive amount of sexual orientations poses a problem to society. How can the government permit these behaviors of children of such a hectic stage of life already? The pressures and influences that middle school students traverse through develop them into the person they will become in the future.
By participating in the workshop, Linden Avenue Middle School oversteps its authority by bypassing the parents' permission. The class was meant to discourage and hinder the enhancement of bullying. Although the aim of the program seem ideal and plausible, obviously, the results decided otherwise. The girls must now go through bullying by peers engendered by the uncomfortable question of asking another girl to give them a kiss. The onslaught of verbal abuse will now carry with them for a long period of their life because middle school children will treat the workshop and events in an ignorant and immature manner.
The repercussions of the incident may bolster the gay rights movement because it aims at the purging of discrimination of homosexual acts. The method to hamper discrimination of bullying actually had a counter effect due to the augmented apprehension of the parents. Once the parents begin to worry about the well-being of their children's physical and moral safety, the school has disregarded its responsibility to preserve the attitudes of its pupils set forth by the parents.