In The News: Cost of Higher Education Skyrockets as More and More Families Fail to Afford College

dmac0821
Society weighs us down with its norms, or rather with what path it wishes us to take. With a surprisingly strong gravitational pull towards college, more and more eighteen and nineteen-year-olds are finding themselves straying down the yellow brick road in pursuit of something slightly different than a wizard: a higher education. Man's quest for knowledge has been the only thing keeping the world spinning on it's axis since the time Eve picked the fruit from the garden of Eden. Yet, what happens when man can longer afford the costly price of knowledge? Does the world cease to rotate? How are we to deny the brightest young minds of the world access to knowledge and a future simply because they were not born into a family of significant wealth? Education, a vital tool in the spectrum of life, has been getting more and more expensive, and those receiving loans are exiting college only to find that they are $150,000 in debt, yet nowadays, that college education fails to guarantee a well-paying job.
To say that I have a hard life would be a blatant lie. Well, maybe not blatant if you're considering Maslow's Hierarchy. I go to a high quality school, with great teachers and friendly peers, and have a family that loves and supports me, but it's still a mystery how we (or rather my parents) are going to send three children through college. With a society such as the one we live in , where going to college seems to be the only way to ever achieve "success" later in life, how are most families going to provide their children with a life and job?
An inspirational musician once told me that she was "glad to be of service with the tuneage, and frequencies of all walks of life" in a letter that would ignite the musical flame that now burns within me, a passion that I love to express. The idea of being denied my privilege to perform music at a college due to money does more than scares me, it devastates me. I can hardly imagine what it would be like for any other young musician, scientist, or mathematician coming from a less-fortunate family than my own. If we don't fix the cost of higher education soon, the cost of higher education will fix us, but not in the Bob the Builder sense; it will fix us in a life where all we ever wonder is what could have been.