STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

In The News: Cost of Higher Education Skyrockets as More and More Families Fail to Afford College

dmac0821
Society weighs us down with its norms, or rather with what path it wishes us to take. With a surprisingly strong gravitational pull towards college, more and more eighteen and nineteen-year-olds are finding themselves straying down the yellow brick road in pursuit of something slightly different than a wizard: a higher education. Man's quest for knowledge has been the only thing keeping the world spinning on it's axis since the time Eve picked the fruit from the garden of Eden. Yet, what happens when man can longer afford the costly price of knowledge? Does the world cease to rotate? How are we to deny the brightest young minds of the world access to knowledge and a future simply because they were not born into a family of significant wealth? Education, a vital tool in the spectrum of life, has been getting more and more expensive, and those receiving loans are exiting college only to find that they are $150,000 in debt, yet nowadays, that college education fails to guarantee a well-paying job.
To say that I have a hard life would be a blatant lie. Well, maybe not blatant if you're considering Maslow's Hierarchy. I go to a high quality school, with great teachers and friendly peers, and have a family that loves and supports me, but it's still a mystery how we (or rather my parents) are going to send three children through college. With a society such as the one we live in , where going to college seems to be the only way to ever achieve "success" later in life, how are most families going to provide their children with a life and job?
An inspirational musician once told me that she was "glad to be of service with the tuneage, and frequencies of all walks of life" in a letter that would ignite the musical flame that now burns within me, a passion that I love to express. The idea of being denied my privilege to perform music at a college due to money does more than scares me, it devastates me. I can hardly imagine what it would be like for any other young musician, scientist, or mathematician coming from a less-fortunate family than my own. If we don't fix the cost of higher education soon, the cost of higher education will fix us, but not in the Bob the Builder sense; it will fix us in a life where all we ever wonder is what could have been.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy